Isolated sub $200 closed cans
Feb 21, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by euphoracle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely check out the HFI 680/780. About the DT 150/250, I'm not sure any place (other than Found-On-Ebay) even sells Beyers in the GTA (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), but I'll ask around. I intend of giving these phones a good listen before I buy them, but having a list of worthy sets is always beneficial
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Strike that, Trew Audio carries BeyerDynamic (albeit a limited selection). Will look into the DT770s too, thanks!

By noise, I'm referring to a noisy work environment (voices, phones ringing, lots of people movement), and the subway/bus system. I don't expect total silence (that would be unreasonable), but I don't want to find myself cranking up the volume in order to faintly hear it. I don't plan on ruling out IEMs until I have a reason to
wink.gif

THANK YOU! I've been looking everywhere for a carrier of Beyers in the GTA to test out the 770s. You're awesome!

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely check out the HFI 680/780. About the DT 150/250, I'm not sure any place (other than Found-On-Ebay) even sells Beyers in the GTA (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), but I'll ask around. I intend of giving these phones a good listen before I buy them, but having a list of worthy sets is always beneficial
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Strike that, Trew Audio carries BeyerDynamic (albeit a limited selection). Will look into the DT770s too, thanks!

By noise, I'm referring to a noisy work environment (voices, phones ringing, lots of people movement), and the subway/bus system. I don't expect total silence (that would be unreasonable), but I don't want to find myself cranking up the volume in order to faintly hear it. I don't plan on ruling out IEMs until I have a reason to
wink.gif

I thought that noise-cancelling headphones were designed for steady, continuous noise (such as airplane engines.) I did not think they were capable of keeping up with intermittent, rapidly changing noises like one would find in an office. Am I wrong about this?

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that noise-cancelling headphones were designed for steady, continuous noise (such as airplane engines.) I did not think they were capable of keeping up with intermittent, rapidly changing noises like one would find in an office. Am I wrong about this?

I tried QC2 and QC3 and when music was off I could hear rustling of papers and noises here and there while trying them out in a store. It'll do fine, but I don't think it'll do any better than a headphone with good isolation.

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #19 of 23
To the OP:

Check out the threads for the HD 25 I and II. If I needed isolation, those threads would certainly convince me. So much love for those funky looking cans.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #20 of 23
For office use I don't think you can beat Audio Technica ATH-A900 under $200. Assuming you are able to get them for that price - I got mine in Tokyo for CDN $170. I haven't found any headphone that is more comfortable, isolation is great (can't hear anything in the office), build quality above that of headphones twice its price and it can be driven with portable equipment well. The only negative is that they're large so this isn't something you would take on transit. HD25-1 would serve all your needs at the cost of some comfort (especially long term!) but I think they are well above $200 in Canada. They are both quite capable in the bass department.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 23
I ended up picking up some M-Audio Q40s, because I'm in love with my M-Audio monitors, and (on sale) they ended up to be cheaper than the cheapest from my previous list. Though, I still need a portable pair! Wow, your slogan is spot on: Sorry about your wallet
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, you're not. It allows hearing, depending on the level of noise, while reducing the steady noise. I don't, however, consider an office environment high noise.

Quote:

I ended up picking up some M-Audio Q40s, because I'm in love with my M-Audio monitors, and (on sale) they ended up to be cheaper than the cheapest from my previous list. Though, I still need a portable pair! Wow, your slogan is spot on: Sorry about your wallet
L3000.gif

M-Audio is a nice sounding headphone. It's OK for isolation. I find it can't block out my computer fans. It's definitely one of the better closed headphones, IMO. I wonder who really makes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back