ISO: the best DAC for the money
Oct 13, 2010 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Zida

500+ Head-Fier
I was at my local audio store today to look into some higher end headphones to buy (D5000 and HD800) but what I think I came away with learning was that I need a new DAC.

I currently don't hear enough of a difference between my Headroom Micro DAC and my Zen Vision:M (both coupled with my Meier Corda HeadFive, ZV:M through line out) to care which one I use. Today, though, I was astonished to hear a drastic change between a reamped signal from the HO of my ZV:M vs the full DAC+Amp of the Peachtree iDecco from a salesperson's ipod. Now, she only had extremely well mastered tracks, but I'm still confident that the DAC made a huge difference. I'm basically talking night and day.

So now I want to buy a great quality DAC. At the same time I need to upgrade my headphones (I use DT880 primarily), so I really don't want a DAC that will break the bank. What I'm looking for is the DAC that will earn me the highest resolution and best imaging and soundstage that I can for the least money. I'm reluctant to offer a budget because my budget really depends on how much I /need/ to spend to get something really... quality.

So please, have at it. Tell me about any DAC you can think of that provides exceptional value for the cost. I'm looking for audiophile, or as close to it as I can, for the least money.

Thanks, everyone. Really, I need your help.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 28
The Yulong D100 ($450) seems to get some really positive reviews and is considered the best bang for your buck at this point. Check out the review here at Head-Fi. Other options that might interest you are the Hifiman 602 (DAP/DAC) and, depending on your budget, a DIY Beta22. What is your budget exactly? 

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
The Yulong D100 ($450) seems to get some really positive reviews and is considered the best bang for your buck at this point. Check out the review here at Head-Fi. Other options that might interest you are the Hifiman 602 (DAP/DAC) and, depending on your budget, a DIY Beta22. What is your budget exactly? 

Yulong make some good DAC but some of them suffer in the past of quality issues... (Humming sounds, bad isolations, etc...)
Hifiman look cool but i think you pay more because this is a "portable" device...

For me the next "must buy" is the Audio-GD NFB-11, it will certainly cost less than 300$ and you can trust in the quality of this piece of hardware, i think this brand is one of the best of the market, especially for the cheap devices, quality is far better than some crappy Dac, like DAC Zero, HA-NG or "yulong", with theses devices, if you're lucky it works flawlessly, but if you're unlucky you'll be experience a lot of problems... (sometime one channel don't work, or sometimes you heard some "glitches" and buzzing noises from the output, not the problem you want from a device which cost you more than 150$).

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
Yulong make some good DAC but some of them suffer in the past of quality issues... (Humming sounds, bad isolations, etc...)
Hifiman look cool but i think you pay more because this is a "portable" device...

For me the next "must buy" is the Audio-GD NFB-11, it will certainly cost less than 300$ and you can trust in the quality of this piece of hardware, i think this brand is one of the best of the market, especially for the cheap devices, quality is far better than some crappy Dac, like DAC Zero, HA-NG or "yulong", with theses devices, if you're lucky it works flawlessly, but if you're unlucky you'll be experience a lot of problems... (sometime one channel don't work, or sometimes you heard some "glitches" and buzzing noises from the output, not the problem you want from a device which cost you more than 150$).

You have read the Audio-GD DOA thread then ? - not sure that I would regard a supposedly burnt-in and tested component that wholly fails to work on arrival as a sign of quality you can trust
wink.gif
 - whereas both my 2007 and 2009 (crappy) Zeros perfrorm flawlessly out of the box - go figure , fwiw the Zeros measure decently as well and have been tested as objectively *better* than a well known FOTM $1k DAC - granted they do have a history of QC issues.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 28
I don't think you've seen and heared the Yulong D100. The problems you spoke of are from years ago. This new generation is a gorgeous product for a relatively low price. Audio-GD has a lot of problem-threads as well with heaps of DOA's.

Anyway, budget?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 28

Quote:
I don't think you've seen and heared the Yulong D100. The problems you spoke of are from years ago. This new generation is a gorgeous product for a relatively low price. Audio-GD has a lot of problem-threads as well with heaps of DOA's.

Anyway, budget?
smily_headphones1.gif

That's one thread with one DOA DAC that's hardly a problem. I am myself contemplating a Yulong D100 or Audio GD NFB-3 or perhaps the DAC19DSP if I can afford it. I think those DACs will get you a long way for a relatively few money.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
You have read the Audio-GD DOA thread then ? - not sure that I would regard a supposedly burnt-in and tested component that wholly fails to work on arrival as a sign of quality you can trust
wink.gif
 - whereas both my 2007 and 2009 (crappy) Zeros perfrorm flawlessly out of the box - go figure , fwiw the Zeros measure very well as well and have been tested as objectively *better* than a well known FOTM $1k DAC - granted they do have a history of QC issues.

Speaking ill of Audio-gd?  Heresy!!!!!
wink_face.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:

Speaking ill of Audio-gd?  Heresy!!!!!
wink_face.gif

I have no idea what these products are like, most likely they like any competent digital products are fine, however I hesitate to buy any product where there is literally zero relevant technical measurements on the finsished system (they cite chip measurements but chips exist in circuits) , there are no measurements of THD/Noise/SNR blah drone etc on their DACs or CD players - this is bread and butter stuff and everyone from Coby to Wadia can do this, why do they not ?

Three answers (at least ) exist

1. They do not think they are important, okay,  but if you provide them then others can take them or leave them
2. They do not have the facilities to do good measurements, worrying if true, how do they test the products
3. They did the measurements and they are not that impressive, well any SNR better than 96db is good enough in general, but a 24 bit DAC that does only 110db is actually only 18 bits not 24, my own "24bit" DACs are really only 17bits (actually slightly worse than my 20 bit DAC which is about 18 bits) but I don't do high res so that does not worry me, if it did I would have bought a different DAC, but it is nice to know either way...

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 28
Thanks for the help so far, guys. I really don't have a fixed budget and I'm just trying to field what is out there. I would ideally like to stay under 400 dollars, I think, but if we start including dac/amp combos I can add to that (if the amp section is considered greater than my Headfive). For a moment last night I was considering just buying a Peachtree Nova since I was so completely impressed with their iDecco (but have no iPod), but figured that if they're a product associated with apple there must be a cheaper alternative of comparable quality.

For that matter, actually, if I do wind up with one of those ~$300 DACs you guys have been talking about would my amp still be considered up to snuff, or will I notice a need for new amplification. Just something I think I need to think about.

Thanks and I hope to hear more from you gus

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 28
The Audiosector dac which can be bought in kit form or ready made is supposed to be good $440 made up.. In fact i took the plunge and ordered one. It is bare bones with either spdif or usb versions and no case. If you go to Audio Zone site that is the same spec dac but with casing for just under $1000.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 28
If your budget is ~$400, get a Parasound D/AC 1100.  You'll need to be patient as they come up FS only so often, but it's worth it.  Best bang-for-the-buck DAC I have heard.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 28
The Emotiva needs to be matched with components downstream that balance out the overall sound. IMO The Emotiva house sound is dry, detailed, clinical, and on the cool side of neutral. I wouldn't want it in an all solid state system. Best bang for the buck dac I've heard is the Theta DS Pro Basic. They usually go for $100-$200 when they appear. I have yet to hear anything at that price that even comes close.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 28
Yea, I thought it hasn't been released yet?

As for the Parasound 1100 it'll probably be hard to find one, and it'd probably be better to test it out in person to make sure it works since it's like.. what, 10 years old? Unless I'm mistaken. I may be.

I'm liking the obscure suggestions though! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back