ISO IEM /Ear Buds to Pair w/Sennheiser Momentum 2 - Grateful Dead/Phish/WSP
Jan 19, 2016 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lookingforowls

Head-Fier
Hi All -
           My current listening setup is Sennheiser Momentum 2 Over Ear's paired w/FIIOE12 and Fiio X5.
I predominantly listen to Grateful Dead, Phish, Widespread Panic, Greensky Bluegrass, String Cheese Incident, etc.
Yes, I love jambands and love listening to live concert recordings, whether official SBD/Matrix releases or 
nice audience recordings made w/quality mics (Schoeps, AKG, B/K,etc).  With the Fiio setup I am prob st
25% MP3 vs 75% FLAC/HD FLAC files listening.  What would a quality ear bud or IEM be to try out w/this setup
I like the profile of the momentums and initially bought them for travel to replace my garbage Bose NC OE
As far as ear buds/IEM, I'd probably like to use them for the office, maybe the gym if they are worth but can stick to 
my Bose ear buds for that application if needed.  Sound isolation is key as my preference is to be as immersed as
possible while listening, thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm in the same position as you, looking for some IEMs. How much are you looking to spend?

I'm currently enjoying the reviews in this guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-349-iems-compared-life-headphones-added-12-30-15-p-1096

Edit: ooh, look at what I found: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Sennheiser makes Momentum in-ears actually- I've only tried in store briefly so can't really say how close they are.

I think the ie80 might be a good match, though I'm only really familiar with the old on-ear momentum (briefly heard overears). but it does not isolate a lot (just about average isolation).
JVC fxt200 is probably closest i've heard to ie80, not as good.

Carbo Tenore or Aurisonics Rockets not quite the same but better isolation and offer a warmish signature with decent treble and detail.

Def worth reading Joker's multi-iem thread... good place to ask too.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 9
If you don't mind buying used, the Audio Technica ATH-IM03 are a great match to my Momentum 2.0 Over-ear.

You might be able to find the IM03 for $300 somewhere. That's the price it used to go for Brand New. The prices have jumped for some god-awful reason. I bought my current pair used on Amazon for $240. Perfect condition, and still works great.

Other than that, you might want to try the Klipsch X12, or one of the older models, X11, X10. The signature might come close to the Momentum.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 9
If you don't mind buying used, the Audio Technica ATH-IM03 are a great match to my Momentum 2.0 Over-ear.

You might be able to find the IM03 for $300 somewhere. That's the price it used to go for Brand New. The prices have jumped for some god-awful reason. I bought my current pair used on Amazon for $240. Perfect condition, and still works great.

Other than that, you might want to try the Klipsch X12, or one of the older models, X11, X10. The signature might come close to the Momentum.

yeah, lol... i sold my IM02 for like 85 dollars... if I had waited four months I could have made all my $150 back... don't feel good about selling used without a markdown, but still, ridiculous price fluctuations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back