luckypictures

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for an amplifier, in two price ranges for speakers with these specs:

Impedence: 4ohm
Sensitivity: 88db+-3db
Response:45hz-20000hz
Crossover: 3000hz

Oh, and they're 3way speakers.

What amp would be good to power them from a computer, and record player, in the under $100 range, and under $200 range?

Thank you in advance.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 5
At that price, probably a BPA-1 (http://www.emotiva.com/bpa1.html)

There might be a clone on partxexpress.com for a few bucks cheaper; the only difference AFAIK between them is cosmetic.

The sensitivity may not be high enough, but if you don't mind listening at lower levels: t-amp/super t-amp/trends/etc. The Gen2 of the T-amp, and (I think) the super t-amp can be purchased from partsexpress.com as well.

I think with those speakers, you might need the BPA because the higher wattage will probably give you more dynamic range. The BPA's only going to fit into the second budget category though.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 5
For your price range, I would recommend a used NAD, Adcom, or Rotel amp. That is not much money to work with for an amp. Amps are usually a lot more, because people who don't want to spend that much are more interested in an all in one receiver. People who want separates spend $500-thousands of dollars on each component.

Do not just go by the wattage. The way manufacturers measure watts is not the same and does not always equal better sound quality. A 30 watt quality amp will sound better than a 100 watt Sony receiver.

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your price range, I would recommend a used NAD, Adcom, or Rotel amp. That is not much money to work with for an amp. Amps are usually a lot more, because people who don't want to spend that much are more interested in an all in one receiver. People who want separates spend $500-thousands of dollars on each component.

Do not just go by the wattage. The way manufacturers measure watts is not the same and does not always equal better sound quality. A 30 watt quality amp will sound better than a 100 watt Sony receiver.

This is true, and as usual I will tell you to look for some vintage Sansui integrated amplifiers. Low Harmonic distortion ratings which means clean power. I bought a Harmon Kardon stereo receiver recently and returned it and realized how good my Sansui really is. You should be able to find a AU-717 or 919 for around the $200 price point you set. It's not a seperate but as good as you can get without going seperate and better than anything I have heard under $1000 today.
au717_spec.JPG

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 5
I second royalcrown's recommendation for the Emotiva BPA-1. (Way to be current with new products, royalcrown.
smily_headphones1.gif
) Emotiva is a factory direct company, so the costs are lower than you'll find in stores.

You'll have extreme difficulty finding anything else that's 4-ohm stable and under $200. My HT receiver isn't 4-ohm stable and it had a $1,700 MSRP a year ago.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back