Isn't there a way to transfer files via USB without a network?
Oct 6, 2009 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chud

500+ Head-Fier
I thought there was a way to copy files back and forth between two computers via a USB cable by just hooking the two directly to one another.

Brother just got a new laptop and instead of re-ripping all my albums on his, I wanted to just copy them over, but it's not working.

I got a transfer cable with my computer back when I bought it, but that seems to MOVE the files from one to another, and not just make copies.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are such things as usb 'TRANSFER' cables. i think they require windows vista and/or xp though.

it is not simply a straight usb to usb cable connection though, it actually has something processing the information.

eg. Amazon.com: Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows Vista: Electronics

yeah, i have one of those and started to try it. but like i said, it looks like it moves everything but doesnt allow you to just copy from one to the other.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm not aware of anything that would just make a foreign computer like a usb attached harddrive.

There are ways to network over USB, but that's "with a network" and thus doesn't meet your spec.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not aware of anything that would just make a foreign computer like a usb attached harddrive.

There are ways to network over USB, but that's "with a network" and thus doesn't meet your spec.

yeah, thats what i want to do.

guess i better get off my butt and finally setup that network
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Don't you have a router anywhere? You can network them together with an ethernet cable (1 for each computer) just by making each the gateway for the other. If you don't have a router you could also do it with a crossover cable. That would probably be a lot faster transfer rate than USB, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you have a router anywhere? You can network them together with an ethernet cable (1 for each computer) just by making each the gateway for the other. If you don't have a router you could also do it with a crossover cable. That would probably be a lot faster transfer rate than USB, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

i have a router but its not hooked up yet. that's been giving me trouble so i havent been messing with setting it up.

how does the crossover cable route work?

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a router but its not hooked up yet. that's been giving me trouble so i havent been messing with setting it up.

how does the crossover cable route work?

Same thing, but it's just computer to computer with no other node like a router. The cable is different than ordinary ethernet though (looks the same, just wired differently) - without that you would need the router.

What kind of router? Default settings might work out of the box. Then just configure IP of PC-1 to something like 192.168.0.100, and PC-2 to 192.168.0.101, depending on the router subnet (192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, etc. - or let the router assign with DHCP, that's probably easiest, actually). I think the gateway for both would be IP of the router, and then they should be able to talk to each other.

W/ x-over cable, gateway of each would be the IP of other (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've never done it before).

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing, but it's just computer to computer with no other node like a router. The cable is different than ordinary ethernet though (looks the same, just wired differently) - without that you would need the router.

What kind of router? Default settings might work out of the box. Then just configure IP of PC-1 to something like 192.168.0.100, and PC-2 to 192.168.0.101, depending on the router subnet (192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, etc. - or let the router assign with DHCP, that's probably easiest, actually). I think the gateway for both would be IP of the router, and then they should be able to talk to each other.

W/ x-over cable, gateway of each would be the IP of other (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've never done it before).

Linksys WRT54 series.

I made a thread about it in the computer section of this board. I was fine with the setup until i got to the part about releasing the IP and then thats where i hit a wall.

at the time, the computer im on was the only one available so it was a pain to jump online to look for a solution since at that step in the process the computer was hooked up to the router and i couldnt get online.

now with two computers in the house though, that shouldnt be a problem. i guess ill mess with it tonight and get it going once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back