Isn’t return policy rather insanitary?
Jul 3, 2004 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
It is good to have the opportunity to return an expensive headphone if you don’t like it of course. But the price is that you sometimes get headphones that are tested by other people. And there are people that are not always perfectly clean. And think if somebody has hair lice? Isn’t it a bit disgusting?

Georg

Jul 3, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
It is good to have the opportunity to return an expensive headphone if you don’t like it of course. But the price is that you sometimes get headphones that are tested by other people. And there are people that are not always perfectly clean. And think if somebody has hair lice? Isn’t it a bit disgusting?

Georg

Note to self: Don't order from where Georg orders from.
eek.gif
(j/k of course!)

Jul 3, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 40
No, absolutely not. All products sold by retailers with a return policy should be absolutely new, untouched by anyone (assuming that the retailer is even remotely decent).
Normally, a returned headphone is sent back to the manufacturer to be refurbished.

Jul 3, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 40
Most good manufacturers usually want their returned merchandise sent back to them for refurbishing. Sometimes stores are not authorized resellers and they are stuck with the item, so becareful who you buy your stuff from.

Bad manufacturers may not have an ethical policy dealing with refurbished products (or skip it entirely and reship it to some other store).

It shouldn't be too hard for a company like Sennhesier to refurbish their products because their headphones are of modular design.

edit: cannot write sentences that makes sense.

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath

Georg

Head lice, which you are referring to, do not prefer dirty hair over clean hair.

"Head lice are equal opportunity parasites; they do not respect socio-economic class distinctions. Their presence does not connote a lack of hygiene or sanitation practiced by their host"
--Harvard School of Public Health

And if the only problem is "dirty hair" then you can just clean the headphones. I'd be more concerned about ear infection, but even then, most organisms that would cause infection cannot survive long on headphones without a host...

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 40
when i buy used hedphones, i just throw the earpads into the clothes washer and clean the headphone myself.

unfortunately, this is not going to stop me from supporting the head-fi's sale forum.
280smile.gif

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
No, absolutely not. All products sold by retailers with a return policy should be absolutely new, untouched by anyone (assuming that the retailer is even remotely decent).
Normally, a returned headphone is sent back to the manufacturer to be refurbished.

Not that I want to restart a long and lengthy debate, but wasn't there a big ruckus about Headroom sometimes not sending their stuff back?

Jul 3, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 40
I think when the company says that they are selling a "brand new" product, theyre selling a unopened never used product or they would be facing lawsuits pretty soon. If you buy products from respectable companies, you have a higher chance of not receiving pre-owned-lice-infected-greasy-headphones-with dandruff
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzardfire
Head lice, which you are referring to, do not prefer dirty hair over clean hair.

"Head lice are equal opportunity parasites; they do not respect socio-economic class distinctions. Their presence does not connote a lack of hygiene or sanitation practiced by their host"
--Harvard School of Public Health

And if the only problem is "dirty hair" then you can just clean the headphones. I'd be more concerned about ear infection, but even then, most organisms that would cause infection cannot survive long on headphones without a host...

If you look at my sentences once more, I didn't say that head lice depends on lack of sanity.That was your conclusion. I wrote it as two different possibilities:

"And there are people that are not always perfectly clean. And think if somebody has hair lice?"

Georg

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 40
Hmm, unsanitary.... Has anyone ever gotten sick from swapping cans at a head-fi meet?
k1000smile.gif
With the exception of canal phones, I wouldn't be worried about how many ears my headphones have been on. You aren't eating out of them, you're just putting them around your ears.

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie

Unfortunately, you're not correct in assuming that returned headphones are sent back to be refurbished. This topic comes up every so often on Head-Fi.

Nearly all vendors inspect returned items, and if the headphones are judged to be in as-new condition, they get put back on the shelves to be sold again. (In the case of canalphones, the silicone/foamy tips are usually replaced.) This includes Headroom, Amazon, etc.

Some people bleat and moan about this, but that's just the way it is. Brick and mortar vendors do this too. If you're especially concerned about getting a completely new pair, your best bet is to order from a vendor with no return policy.

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Unfortunately, you're not correct in assuming that returned headphones are sent back to be refurbished. This topic comes up every so often on Head-Fi.

Nearly all vendors inspect returned items, and if the headphones are judged to be in as-new condition, they get put back on the shelves to be sold again. (In the case of canalphones, the silicone/foamy tips are usually replaced.) This includes Headroom, Amazon, etc.

Some people bleat and moan about this, but that's just the way it is. Brick and mortar vendors do this too. If you're especially concerned about getting a completely new pair, your best bet is to order from a vendor with no return policy.

that's not true. If a vendor states that they sell brand new products, they mean factory-sealed new. If a vendor does not state that they sell brand new equipment, then I would agree with you. I always buy from vendors that clearly state that they sell brand new products and I have always gotten brand new factory sealed items (with few exceptions which resulted in ugly fights). They also happened to have a 30 day money back guarantee. A few of the companies I am talking about are J&R, Pro Sound and Stage Lighting, Etronics. I used to buy a lot of stuff. I have never had any problems with my purchase and these companies. The items have always been factory-sealed new.

I am a tough customer. If I buy new, I expect the smell of new when I open the box. Last time (and the only time I remember) a retailer sold me an used pair of speakers for the price of new, I contacted Mackie's regional sales' rep, Mackie headquarters, and BBB and made a big stink out of it. The store took back the speakers and gave me full refund because Mackie had contacted them and put significant pressure on them. The store argued to me that the pair of speakers was good as new and that they were demo units on the floor for a total of one day and that they were never plugged in or ever played. I was pissed, but Mackie backed me up all the way. The manufacturer (Mackie) agreed with me on the issue of selling/buying brand new equipment. The point is that if a store promises to sell brand new equipment, that's it. It has to be new in factory sealed box and never used. At one point, the store offered to knock $50 off each speaker. However, they could not buy my consent for their unethical practices. They agreed to replace the speakers if I paid the shipping which would have totalled to $100 at the very end. The regional salesman for Mackie recommended a different store...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back