Is Zune + amp = Kenwood HD30GB9 in term of SQ?
Apr 21, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 22
I'll say that I think Zune + TH sounds fantastic. However it seems unlikely to improve something further down the chain when you are talking about the source SQ itself. Does it sound better? Probably. Better Sound Quality? Im not sure..

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 22
Someone who posted here earlier "kenwoods HD30GB9 sound quality are better than imod ipods bundled with cheaper amps. So if you bundled Kenwood with XIN then you will get the best sound quality(maybe same as Imod ipod with XIN).

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone who posted here earlier "kenwoods HD30GB9 sound quality are better than imod ipods bundled with cheaper amps. So if you bundled Kenwood with XIN then you will get the best sound quality(maybe same as Imod ipod with XIN).

To justify this claim we need more than one "someone". The number of iMod owners is quite high and claims made by iMod owners still accounted for being credible.

Nevertheless, I agree that iMod paired with crappy amp will sound as bad as an iPod Mini amped. Simply because iMod is 100% dependent on external amp. But iMod does offer that flexibilty to scale up quite high with proper cables and amps. I do not doubt the Kenwood sounds good, but it is still limited to headphone out and amping a headphone out has its limitation - so scalibility is somewhat limited. Double amping has the tendency to distort things up at the highest extremes.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by yjs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are the Kenwood players so highly revered? Is there something in them that makes them superior to other HDD players?

A digital amp stage.

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune is superb even unamped. My only lament to zune was the inability to support lossless

So the WMA Lossless isn't true lossless? 940kbps does seem a little low for it.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the WMA Lossless isn't true lossless? 940kbps does seem a little low for it.

No its not true lossless. I think 940kbps is a typo...
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

I do not doubt the Kenwood sounds good, but it is still limited to headphone out and amping a headphone out has its limitation - so scalibility is somewhat limited. Double amping has the tendency to distort things up at the highest extremes.

Please don't say these things, it hurts
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

still limited to headphone out and amping a headphone out has its limitation - so scalibility is somewhat limited. Double amping has the tendency to distort things up at the highest extremes.

the same applies to the zune?

btw, how can you know whether a dap has a line out or not? is it listed in the specs?

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

btw, how can you know whether a dap has a line out or not? is it listed in the specs?

Yes, it is listed in the specs, but you may need to hunt for it. Very few DAPs have line-outs. As far as I'm aware, the only flash device with line out capability is the IPOD. You can get a line-out (via a dock or a specially constructed cable) from some of the hard drive devices such as the Cowon X5 and the Creative Zen Vision:M, but it doesn't seem that common.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 22
The Zune paired with an amp isn't quite as good as one would expect. The amp really brings out and improves upon what is there. However, I was a not comfortable with the lowest bass and highest treble.. with either of my amps it seemed kind of forced and uncontrolled in comparison with the rest of the Zune's sound.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 22
so getting back to the topic, i too am interested in knowing the qualities of the Kenwood HD30GB9 comparing it to something that is amp'ed. I know if you use an amp, it would make sense to utilize a line-out function from your DAP, which unfortunetly not too many DAP's have these days... and it wouldn't make sense to run an amp through the headphone jack because it isn't making the quality better, just sound louder??? but dont quote me on that one. I too am also looking for something portable to utilize my shure e500's to its fullest without sacrificing portability, meaning no ext. AMP to carry. My pockets are already full, no need for something else carry along. I currently own a Cowon D2, but im not sure if it is pushing my headphones as much as it can, even with the 36mw headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back