Is XLR connector 4 pin or 3 pin? I am really confused!
Dec 16, 2005 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
I was always under the impression that as balanced configuration, XLR connector, which equals to balanced connector, has to be 4 pin, L+, L-, R+, R-. But today I found that I was wrong? So XLR is actually 3 pin with +, - and shielding, so the balanced amp output has to be 2 of 3-pin XLR connectors as a pair instead of 1 of 4 pin XLR?
I am totally confused!!!
eek.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 8
XLR is a type of connector. in the same way that DIN is a type of connector. it's not really a standard connection configuration. although 3 pin connection far outnumbers the others, i have 4 pin and 5 pin XLR cables in my cable box.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 8
in terms of balanced headphones though there's no standard configuration. you can use whatever you want.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
in terms of balanced headphones though there's no standard configuration. you can use whatever you want.

but what's the most common pin definition by the common balanced amps, say, Headroom's home balanced amp?

BTW: all the 4 pin XLR connector are physically identical on their sizes, right? which means all 4 pin XLR male and female can be connected without problem, right?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
but what's the most common pin definition by the common balanced amps, say, Headroom's home balanced amp?

Headroom uses standard 3-pin female XLR jacks on their balanced amps (actually, they use two Neutrik combo jacks, each having a 3-pin female XLR and a 1/4" phone jack in one housing).

Quote:

all the 4 pin XLR connector are physically identical on their sizes, right? which means all 4 pin XLR male and female can be connected without problem, right?
rolleyes.gif

Well, if things are that simple... Note also that there is standard XLR vs. mini-XLR. They're not compatible with each other! You should browse the appropriate sections of the Mouser or Digikey catalogs to get an idea.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 8
XLR was (and is) a connector series name used by Cannon. (Now ITT Cannon.) Although enmeshed in the mists of time, the original connector was the X series, which was reworked, a latch added (the L) and introduced as a pro audio connector. Later it formed the base of the AES standard. The XLR series is available with from 2 to 7 pins, with the pins dropping in size as the number increases in the shell. The XLR connectors are physically compatible with Cannon's XLA, XLB, XLB2, XLG, XLM range of connectors (although not all ranges include all pin numbers.) Probably most users of these connectors call them XLR, even though they aren't. Eventually other manufacturers were able to make the connectors, and XLR became a generic term as well as a Cannon model designator. However XLR remains a Cannon name.

There are other ideas about what XLR means. eXtra Low Resistance, X(Ground) Live Return, and so on.

3-Pin Connectors
Pin 1 Ground (Shield, screen, etc.)
Pin 2 Positive (Signal, Hot, etc.)
Pin 3 Negative (Return, Common, etc.)

5-Pin Connectors
Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2 Left Positive
Pin 3 Left Negative
Pin 4 Right Positive
Pin 5 Right Negative

Users who are viewing this thread

Back