Is wireless and lossless audio possible within the iOS ecosystem?
Jan 21, 2018 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nutcasey

New Head-Fier
Hello!

First time post here and I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to achieve truly lossless audio using an iPhone? I have a great set of wired Shure headphones and would love to get an adaptor that could free me from the wires but I can't seem to find anything that would give me sound parity.

Thanks

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 12
You can't find anything because lossless wireless doesn't (yet) exist. AptX is probably the closest you can get on Bluetooth, but that's still a compression algorithm.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes, FLAC and ALAC are lossless. Nplayer for iOS is excellent and can play these formats and many others (you could even play WAV if you wanted). But you will need to stick to wired.

I recommend lossy for wireless applications. Especially if used outdoors or during activity where the differences become even more negligible.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 12
May 25, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 12
The thing is you do not really need lossless audio when you are going wireless. The reason is simple, you use wireless while commuting or out and about where you are far from noticing the difference in lossless and compressed audio. For high quality lossless listening stick to wired and fight something satisfactory for wireless audio.

May 25, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 12
The thing is you do not really need lossless audio when you are going wireless. The reason is simple, you use wireless while commuting or out and about where you are far from noticing the difference in lossless and compressed audio. For high quality lossless listening stick to wired and fight something satisfactory for wireless audio.

I agree, even AAC should be pretty close to transparent with most music and that's generally good enough for all but critical listening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back