Is using a soundcard as a source really that bad?
Jan 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #46 of 73
I think if you built a pc with the express intent being sound quality you could get close to entry level dac's. But a stock zero dac will likely blow the doors off most sound cards, even the higher end ones. sad but true. at 300$ i don't think there's a sound card on the market that compares to stand alone dac. There are many choices in the sub 300$ dac range, like Keces, DIY dac's, fubar, Valab, moodlab, and the new little dot dac, etc.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #47 of 73
I recently heard an emu 0404usb and an aardvark 24\96 (old lol) with my phones. The Xonar essence stx is better. To be honest it is sort of an exception to previous cards though. Not that they weren't good but the essence takes it up a notch for sure. I'd love to hear a benchmark dac1 or a lavry da10 to see what I'm missing out on if anything. Someday!

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats roughly the going price of the PC Power & Cooling 1200W ESA, its really an amazing PSU, and it does have a purpose, driving VERY hungry workstations/gaming boxes (we're talking 4 to 12 CPU cores, 3 to 4 GPU cores, 4 to 8 hard disks, lots of memory, probably a liquid cooling system, etc)

actually PCIe targetted backplane markets and attempted to be a CSI just like HyperTransport, and was adopted for graphics cards because it was able to beat AGP out for latency and write-backs, and of course handles more power through the edge connector

as far as the IDE (more correctly Parallel ATA, as IDE just means the disk has its own controller onboard, SATA disks are IDE as well, non-IDE would be SCSI) drives via PCI, SATA controllers also sit on the PCI bus, well, more normally, PATA and SATA controllers originate from the southbridge ICH, which uses PCI internally (because its cheaper to recycle the bus and bridge to it, than it is to redesign the ASIC logic for native PCIe operation, especially when theres no performance benefits to be wrought on consumer equipment)

in other words, that entire arguement is null and void, because its wrong

in terms of point to point, vs "parallel architectures" (you use that term so loosely, I love it), you know what DMA is, right?

whenever theres an external connection, its generally for additional power, not sole power, although I'd love to see one where it is for sole power (I'm thinking for the cards with hp amps, the connection powers the hp amp by itself, but none of the core logic, as you simply dont need the extra power for the basic core logic)

cheers
beerchug.gif

So what's your point then? I thought it was that there's less interference in computers today, and when I went to support that further, you contradicted me. So there's just as much interference today then?

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what's your point then? I thought it was that there's less interference in computers today, and when I went to support that further, you contradicted me. So there's just as much interference today then?

honestly I feel like this thread has gone in circles, in other words "can't see **** cap'n"
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

lemme answer this questoin with personal experience

the last soundcard I had that produced noise, crackling, pops, distortion, had features that didn't work, etc and so on (the hell that maxvla describes) was the Creative AWE32 for ISA

here's a picture:
http://www.lauppert.ws/screen1/sc-awe32.jpg

the board supports stereo only output, and was released in something like 1994

I've experienced onboard sound more recently than that which produced some awful effects into very sensitive headphones at higher volumes, however actual discrete boards that I've gone through with no issues range from the Audiophile 2496 (M-Audio) to the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (Creative) and most recently the X-Fi Prelude (Auzen/Creative)

prices on those range from $100 to $200 (the 2 ZS Platinum was the most expensive to purchase new, and also came with the most features, especially in its day)

honestly, most of the complaints about soundcards are snakeoil, and it seems all too common on this board to bash anything that happens inside the computer, blaming it on "massive RF interference", as I've said before, and will say again, you all do realize that if the interference was as bad as you claim it to be, there would be massive corruption of working data, everything from memory read errors to issues with 2D and 3D display would happen, and it'd be a miracle if the system could stay powered on for more than a few hours at a time (before the operating environment just degraded so severely it had to be re-instantiated)

cheap integrated stuff picks up on disk access for a pretty simple reason, integrated audio is part of the southbridge controller on probably 95% of mainboards (theres some exceptions that use either discrete codec boards or discrete add-in boards that shipped as a package deal), the southbridge is also the disk controller on probably 95% of mainboards as well

as far as random pops, clicks, etc, that can be caused by everything from heat, to PCI saturation, and its generally an easy fix

I'd like to see this "drivers rarely work" arguement stand its own ground, I really would, because the majority of external solutions rely on drivers from the same companies that produce the internal hardware, and USB streaming audio ("USB DACs that bypass everything") rely on in-built support found in Windows and Mac OS (meaning those drivers are provided by Microsoft and Apple)

yeah, some drivers in Windows Vista x64 have issues, but thats not related to being an internal soundcard, or a printer, or a graphics card, thats related to the new and unique challenges which Vista x64 presents programmers

under a mature platform, such as WindowsXP, Apple OS X, or more mainstream versions of Linux or BSD (such as PC-BSD, SuSE, or Solaris), audio can work just as well, as long as you have compatable hardware (for example Creative isn't really supported in a non-Windows environment, and Apogee isn't really supported in a non-Mac environment)

the only other source of noise and distortion is a crap power supply, which is what (i'm gonna say it) ALL retail computers have (its the truth, don't believe me? open up your Dell or HP or whatever, look at the PSU, look it up on google, probably $20 or less, even in a $1000+ computer), there are maybe 2 or 3 exceptions to this statement, the Apple towers (G5 PowerMac, Mac Pro Xeon, etc) and some of the highest end boutique boxes (like Alienware's ALX productline (we're talking about an MSRP $7000 US system just to get a decent quality PSU though))

now most custom builders will buy a better PSU, from a company that is either 100% specialized in nothing but power supplies (Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, FSP/Sparkle Power, TTGI, etc) or builds power supplies in addition to a few other products, with good quality controls (Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, OCZ Group, etc)

you'll be looking at up to $600 for a single PSU, now think about your high end audio components, and what upgrade PSUs for those cost, and contrast this to your $20 Dell gimmick, easy to see where a lot of bad rap for PC internals comes from, eh?

now the point behind all of this information, is simply that you can't blackbox away the rest of your comptuer's guts and blame the discrete card, if the issue is dirty power, that is the PSU's fault (and bad PSUs have been known to cause system instability, frequent crashes, bad uptime figures, and so on, to the point that most of the bad rap Windows XP has taken over the last few years is probably 30% true, and the rest of it is because of the ever cheapening quality of Dell and HP econo-boxes)

internal soundcards can be great, they aren't going to compete with a $50,000 hifi system, but the most expensive internal card I've seen targetted at consumers (recently) is around $250 (the HT Omega Claro Halo XT), and at $250, its a pretty amazing setup, as far as going with USB solely to avoid "all of the plague that is internal audio", its more or less a gamble, as there can be USB devices just as poorly designed and built

and as a final note, implementing optical out vs analog out on a soundcard is roughly the same amount of parts, its just the piece at the end that changes, the one thing to consider though, for the first half or so of this decade, manufacturers more or less skimped on the digital output quality, because it was a more or less unused feature (it wasn't until Dolby Digital Live and DTS Neo:pC came about that you could use nothing but digital output from your computer without issues)

This is quite possible THE most level headed post about this issue I have ever seen. I agree with everything in it.

Soundcards get a bad rap because most are not really built for sound per se, but more for as a feature filled package aimed at regular consumers and/or gamers. The more audio geared ones from ASUS, HT Omega, E-MU, et all, are really good sounding product for the money. This is not even talking about card in the league of Lynx or RME. Like obobskivich said, they are not the final word on fidelity, but for the money, there are very few standalone DACs that offer the options and flexibility of sound cards.

Take the E-MU 1212M for example: balanced out and outstanding S/PDIF out, not to mention mastering quality (un)balanced ADC for needledrops for $149; an outrageously great deal for what you get. The only thing that keeps it from being a basically perfect stereo sound card is the lack of 24/192 Coax S/PDIF.

obobskivich is also on the money with regards to PSUs. Crap PSU = crap voltage rails = bad for DAC performance. Get a good PSU (Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C (too loud though) ) and voltage will be steady. There are those who will complain about the fact that computer PSUs are of the switching variety, but so are the PSUs of the very well regarded ICE Power digital amps used by companies such as Bel Canto.

For the money, good soundcards are great performers. I doubt most people on this board could really pass a double blind test between the RCA out of an ASUS Essence and a standalone around $500.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #51 of 73
About output noise from from the soundcard, I can't hear anything out of my speakers or headphones when at max volume. Onkyo SE-200 PCI LTD edition sound card --> CEC AMP3300R Class A amp--> Paradigm Titans and I can't hear a thing. If I connect up the Go-vibe petite, Audigy 2ZS, Cowon X5 lineout, there is some noise.

Based on my experience, a good soundcard can be a very
good source
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCP&C (too loud though) .

really? curious which model you've got? or are you a full silent type?

feel kind of bad about my history of PSUs, my TurboCool is by far the quietest I've ever owned
redface.gif
, and if you're saying too loud, makes me wonder else is out there and how quiet I could really get

to reputator, I wasn't really trying to tear you down, honestly I have no idea where I was or wasn't intending to go with that
beerchug.gif

@ donny, with the Audigy 2, I found that setting its output volume between 50 and 75% alleviated any noise that may exist (some of those boards are quite noisy, and it seems to be a QC issue, I have one that has never made so much as a single pop, it replaced one that would whine and cry to beat the band if you got the output high enough)

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #53 of 73
Quote:

really? curious which model you've got? or are you a full silent type?

feel kind of bad about my history of PSUs, my TurboCool is by far the quietest I've ever owned
redface.gif
, and if you're saying too loud, makes me wonder else is out there and how quiet I could really get

Seasonic is usually a good bet. Their M12D 850W is supposed to be about as quiet as it gets, according to SPCR, due to their outstanding choice of a Sanyo Denki 120mm fan for cooling. That brand is just about as good a quality a fan as one can get for a PSU (aside from a NMB/MAT fan from dorothybradbury).

Personally I have a Corsair HX1000. It is very quiet and will serve me for a long time to come. Voltage is dead on, so any soundcard I use for digital or analog will have a good steady supply of power.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #54 of 73
its the portable PCMCIA version, maybe it was picking up something from my laptop. I probably had it cranked somewhere between 80-100% volume. A very warm soundcard, too warm and dark. It would be unfair to compare the other sources I used to the Onkyo though as its in a different league.

Please keep in mind that I wouldn't even think about playing the speakers with the volume maxed out on the AMP3300R in a Tokyo apartment, albeit its a newer building with concrete walls it would be just way to loud
smily_headphones1.gif

So I guess its somewhat of a moot point though the Onkyo sounds quite a bit better than the other sources for both headphone and speaker use.

-Donny

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you built a pc with the express intent being sound quality you could get close to entry level dac's. But a stock zero dac will likely blow the doors off most sound cards, even the higher end ones. sad but true. at 300$ i don't think there's a sound card on the market that compares to stand alone dac. There are many choices in the sub 300$ dac range, like Keces, DIY dac's, fubar, Valab, moodlab, and the new little dot dac, etc.

I completely agree.. I was blown away when I first used a DAC, and this was coming from an Auzen.

I certainly think on-board sound has come a long way, but it's not quite there yet in terms of top quality. But for what it is, not dedicated audio equipment, it can be pretty good.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #56 of 73
People here are using 'onboard soundcard' and 'soundcard' interchangibly. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

I'm pretty sure when anyone on head-fi refers to a soundcard, they're talk about an add-in card, like the new king-of-the-hill, essence stx.

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnyhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About output noise from from the soundcard, I can't hear anything out of my speakers or headphones when at max volume. Onkyo SE-200 PCI LTD edition sound card --> CEC AMP3300R Class A amp--> Paradigm Titans and I can't hear a thing. If I connect up the Go-vibe petite, Audigy 2ZS, Cowon X5 lineout, there is some noise.

Based on my experience, a good soundcard can be a very
good source
smily_headphones1.gif

Let's look at it from this way:
Speaking of the se-200 ltd, which I have in my rig now (-> Slee Solo SRG -> Senn HD650; the PSU is an Enermax Modu 82+, the mainboard a DFI lt x38, plus watercooling ...).
What would be a "comparable" external setup, and what would you consider as an "significant upgrade" (and, how would you define "upgrade"; let's say that I opt for an "unbiased, linear" signature, though the senns tend to be a bit laid-back)?

Well, what I hear simply blows me away. Period. I am sure that there is something "better" out there, but I doubt that I could ever afford it.

-ogi-

edit:
Just saw that this is my first post after lurking around for some months on head-fi; so hi from Germany!

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People here are using 'onboard soundcard' and 'soundcard' interchangibly. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

I'm pretty sure when anyone on head-fi refers to a soundcard, they're talk about an add-in card, like the new king-of-the-hill, essence stx.

actually they are the same thing, its just that one is built-in, and one is discrete, so the term can be used interchangably, a Ferrari 512R and Ford Taurus both have transmissions, and both shift gears, the Ferrari just has a stick and much more precise gear changes
wink_face.gif

and I wouldn't go calling the Essence STX the best, its just one of many great soundcards available

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's funny you should mention the Zero, since taso89 compared a Zero w/ an upgraded OPA-Earth opamp to the Xonar Essence STX in this post and he found the STX to be "CLEARLY superior" to the Zero.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sounds like the $200 sound card beat out the standalone DAC in this case (Disclaimer: of course this is just one person's opinion/experience).

I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I just found your choice of DAC to use as an example amusing given taso's experience.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree.. I was blown away when I first used a DAC, and this was coming from an Auzen.

I certainly think on-board sound has come a long way, but it's not quite there yet in terms of top quality. But for what it is, not dedicated audio equipment, it can be pretty good.

Curious, was your Auzen the Prelude or the X-Meridian? I ask since I was similarly blown away went I upgraded my Prelude to the Essence STX. No contest really.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately though I have no experience w/ standalone DAC's so I can't say how the STX compares to something like a DacMagic or Benchmark. It is superior to the DAC in my Yamaha receiver and Pioneer Elite DVDp tho.

Anyway, this is a fascinating thread. Lots of good info here so keep up the discussion!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back