Is USB to Optical Coversion possible
Dec 8, 2006 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a wireless headphone system with optical and RCA inputs. I've been taking the USB output of my computer to the USB input of an Corda Aria, and then connecting the RCA inputs of the wireless headphone amp. to the headphone output of the Aria. Is there a way to convert the computer's USB output to optical, so that I can input the computer digital output directly to the optical digital input of the wireless headphone system amp.? This would enable me to disconnect the Aria from the system. Alternatively, is there a way to obtain an optical audio output from my system. I realize, or course, that I could use a sound card in my computer to output an analog signal, but I'd rather not do so.

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Mike ...

Also check:

M-Audio Transit

Xitel Pro HiFi-Link

Trend UD-10

I had a UD-10 at our meet last Sat. It was taking USB output from my laptop to the Stello DA220 Dac via AES balanced digital (but could have used optical), then going balanced analog to the BlockHead, and SE analog to the ATH HA2002. You may have been listening to it and not even known it.

I have a Xitel Pro HiFi-link out on loan. If I ever get it back, you are welcome to use it.

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a wireless headphone system with optical and RCA inputs. I've been taking the USB output of my computer to the USB input of an Corda Aria, and then connecting the RCA inputs of the wireless headphone amp. to the headphone output of the Aria. Is there a way to convert the computer's USB output to optical, so that I can input the computer digital output directly to the optical digital input of the wireless headphone system amp.? This would enable me to disconnect the Aria from the system. Alternatively, is there a way to obtain an optical audio output from my system. I realize, or course, that I could use a sound card in my computer to output an analog signal, but I'd rather not do so.

Why yes, any new Apple computer has mini/optical line-out, so all you need is a conventional DAC, but I'm currently using the UD-10 which is cheaper. I have a Citypulse, but I'm waiting to get a Griffin mini/optical line-out cable. I will report on results and compare between UD-10 and the Citypulse.

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 8
I have the Griffin cable and also one that came with a monster cable set for the Apple Airport. I like the Griifin cable because it is a little longer than the monster. They are both just standard toslink optical cables with an adapter you out on the end of it so it can be plugged into the 3.5mm optical jack found on the airoirt ecxpress and my soundblaster audigy2 zs card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back