Is updating from an Ipod classic worth it for my setup?
Jun 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bce22

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers,

I have a rock boxed Ipod classic 160gb that I connect to a project sunrise ii amp by way of an ALO LOD to RCA cable. Will I notice an improvement if I replace my source with a new DAP such as the Fiio X3?

I don't generally listen on the go but want to maintain a relatively portable setup as I find I take me phones to work and during the nice weather I love bringing my gear outside and listening on the deck, etc.

So is it worth moving to a new device? A couple of other facts: Most of my music was ripped from cds using EAC and converted to ALAC. I'd rather not re-rip everything. If I leave apple I'd also need to urchase a new cable to connect the DAP to my amp, and they have the habit of being expensive.

What are your thoughts and feelings about this?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 5
In my opinion, the money is better spent on headphones. If you're happy with your iPod, stick with it!

It would also be a shame to see that nice looking LOD go to waste!

EDIT: I have too many portable sources to count, but will always reach for my 160gb rockboxed iPod when portable functionality is concerned. YMMV.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 5
The Fiio X3 are better pick because it has built in much better quality DAC and powerful AMPs with great battery life, built quality and formats support and overall highly detailed soundquality and loud volume.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
The Fiio X3 are better pick because it has built in much better quality DAC and powerful AMPs with great battery life, built quality and formats support and overall highly detailed soundquality and loud volume.

How do you know? Have you heard the OP's present setup and compared it directly to the the Fiio X3? How did you actually come up with your conclusion?
I'm just requesting where you have received/read/experienced your info from, very reasonable to ask for, right ::wink:

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 5

I understand but how much is the gap closed when using the ipod's lod? I never listen to my Ipod from the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back