Is U24 a significant update of my 0404?
Oct 17, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, at least Juli@ is free from the creatives "bloatware". Juli@'s drivers are only 176kB !
icon10.gif
Nothing wrong with the sound either.
cool.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 9
Haha, I'm interested in finding out too (whether the U24 is significantly better than the emu 0404). It has a decent headphone out, is portable, and probably would provide a better digital out than the emu0404.

The ESI Juli@ is more of a "sidestep" than an upgrade, though.

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Haha, I'm interested in finding out too (whether the U24 is significantly better than the emu 0404). It has a decent headphone out, is portable, and probably would provide a better digital out than the emu0404.

The ESI Juli@ is more of a "sidestep" than an upgrade, though.

so ..U24 is better than juli@?
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
i am confused

actually , do we still need a external DAC if i got a external soundcard

both DACs are external under this situation
confused.gif
blink.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm not sure the U24 is "better" than the juli@ when it comes to their analogue outs, but the U24 should provide a better digital out than any onboard soundcard thanks to its (relatively) low jitter USB connection.

Getting an external DAC is not a "need", but its probably the only way to get a significant upgrade in computer audio. The U24 is suitable for "laying the foundations" for future upgrades. (If you get an external DAC, you will not be using the U24's DAC, if thats the bit you were confused about. You would only be using the U24 for providing a good digital out to the external DAC)

I haven't heard anything about the ESI 192X, can't comment on it. Do you need the "pro" features on the card?

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 9
There is nothing low jitter in a USB connection.

You can not tell the jitter of a USB connected S/PDIF output until you actually measure it.

The U24 might or might not have a low jitter S/PDIF out but the USB connectin is not the reason for it.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back