is this worth 50,000?
Mar 3, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n
Ill stick with my Bryston 3BST and its 20 year warranty,thankyou. Theyre compared alot to Mark Levinsens which are in Krell territory anyway. For my ears,i wont hear the difference anyway,and they sound awesome on Gallo Nucleus reference 3 speakers too. Thinking about a WooAudio tube Preamp for it, Harmonic Technology Pro-9 plus speaker cables and Pro-Silway MK III interconnects. Trying to decide whether to upgrade my Rotel RCD975 CD Player to a Marantz 8260 or something. And an SVS sub (twin 12" woofers/900w bash amp). Also maybe a Rotel or Marantz tuner. If i listened to more radio,then id think about the Magnum Dynalab.

Theres a set up close to the sound of the big boys,without totally breaking the middle class bank. About $7000. Yes its alot,but im saying you can get close to the top esoteric systems for alot less.
icon10.gif

Right on!

I'd venture to guess that the fancy CNC milled Krell enclosure and face plate alone costs more than your Bryston 3BST!!
evil_smiley.gif

TO MY EARS, my modest $2700 (mostly used gear) system in my living room sounded better than 70% of the systems that costs more than $20k at the audio shows.

I don't have problems with people buying $50k amps. I have problems with people claming their $50k amp sounds better than $8k amps because they "look" better.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #33 of 39
I'm going to have to side with Kevin Gilmore on this one. Sure they're ungodly expensive and I wouldn't buy one myself but I think they're worth what they're asking for them. If they were less expensive or it were more important to me, I'd buy them. I think there is a germ of truth in some of the postings though since they seem to be one of the brands folks who don't have a clue buy. Of course, their sound isn't for everyone and I've known people who bought them on a whim and then unloaded them immediately...

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
No, you're probably right. Maybe I just don't know enough about Krell and opened my big mouth without truly understanding the intended meaning behind knuckledragger's post at the beginning of this thread! If that is the case, please do accept my appologies. It wasn't my intention to get into an argument as such. Maybe I made a false assumption that Krell products might (for some serious and knowledgeable audiophiles) represent an "ultimate" type of purchase which might also reflect a good value in terms of price/performance.

Funny Krell was mentioned. Back in the early eighties (which I am sure you remember, old timer
very_evil_smiley.gif
) there was a ribbon speaker made by a company called appogee (sp?) the speaker was called something like the scintilla (sp?)

What was recognised about this speaker above all else was besides being a ribbon speaker was it's impedance. It was 1 ohm. Basically what this meant it was a difficult load to drive. At that time not many amps could drive it let alone well.

There were two amp manufacturers which manage to drive it well and produced a good enough sound. One was a ML amp and the other was of course the krell. This would put Dan Agostino and the name Krell on the map. Ever since then they remained in the spotlight.

Of course Dan named the company after the beings who had technological advancement from the film "Forbidden Planet"...Sorry for that geek moment.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 39
1 ohm?
eek.gif
that sounds like a black hole for any juice you throw at them. looks like their business model to rely on uber-amps didn't quite succeed: they closed down operations in 1998.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
1 ohm?
eek.gif
that sounds like a black hole for any juice you throw at them. looks like their business model to rely on uber-amps didn't quite succeed: they closed down operations in 1998.

They were hand built and therefore very tricky to repair and maintain. Even the ribbon section was done by hand.

I have an article on them somewhere in a magazine.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I don't know anything about this particular product, but my observation has been that, in general, people who have a lot of money tend to have a lot of brains. This isn't true in all cases, but it's much easier to find smart wealthy people than it is to find dumb wealthy people.

Very true.
And people with tons of money will find value in places where others see little.
Just the way it is.
CPW

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #38 of 39
My what a kerfuffle this has become. There's no way I can touch on all the points brought up, but to cover a few:

Wmcmanus, I like you car analogy, except for one thing: cars are very much public possessions, and for many their appearance (or their perceived appearance) is as important as any actual performance. How else could you explain the popularity of the glacially slow and horrifically-handling Escalade?

Iostream is right about the synergy between Krell arcwelders and the bigger B&Ws, I have heard it myself and it is indeed amazing. That said, I like the sound of B&W speakers driven by C-Js even better.
icon10.gif
I'd also note that some tube snobs find Krells to be a bit (or a lot) sharp and screechy. That's one holy war I shan't expand upon, however.

I stand by my original statement that Krell gear is absolutely top-notch, but more than a little overpriced for what it is. Krell gear has the performance of Porsche, the build quality of Audi, and the looks of Aston Martin, but the cost efficiency of Maybach. Perhaps my first comment was a bit more flippant than it should have been, but really folks, this is the internet, thicker skin prevails.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back