Is this what I should buy????
Oct 24, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 13
I love the HD590. Some, however, find them too bright. But what they call bright I call detailed. It's all a matter of personal taste.

Anyways if that's the sound you're looking then go for it. They can be driven without an amp (though sound better with one) and are EXTREMELY comfortable.

Oct 24, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
if the 590s are what you want, then yes, you'd be ok going with ubid. Some people have had bad experiences with them, however.

What do you mean by bad experiences?

Also, I don't quite understand what you mean when you say bright, I'm sorry I'm a bit of a noob.
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the help.

Oct 24, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, I remember a few months ago, there were a lot of people who bought 580s on ubid. Basically, some of them recieved what appeared to be brand new, packaged stuff, while others recieved boxes in really bad shape, scuffed phones, etc.

What he means by bright is that the high frequencys really have an "edge" to them, sometimes to the point of being above the rest.

Oct 24, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 13
I have no problem with refurbished goods if they are in good shape. I bought my monitor (21" Sony Trinitron) Refurbished several years ago for $270. I guess that may make me a little biased though. But feneral, people who make a habit of selling refurished stuff have to make sure the products are in good shape or they'll get a bad name fast.

Geist, I'm looking at the 590's as a candidate, what can you tell me about them? How well should they work from a good source with no dedicated amp? How are they for lots of different music with an emphasis on rock and electronic? Do they have good sound stage and placment? (Pretty important to me.) Thanks for any input.

Oct 24, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 13
I suggest checking out these URL's
They are debatably better for portables and computer setups(Unamped) than the 580's

Link

link

There is a lot of info about them on this site just too just search the forums.

Well thats my .02 I just put a bid down on a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
Geist, I'm looking at the 590's as a candidate, what can you tell me about them? How well should they work from a good source with no dedicated amp? How are they for lots of different music with an emphasis on rock and electronic? Do they have good sound stage and placment? (Pretty important to me.) Thanks for any input.

In my experience, the 590's sound pretty good straight from a source - mainly due to the 590's low impendance, so they can be driven adequately from a portable. Now, they won't sound as good as they would coming from an amp, but in my experience they sounded fine straight from my Sony D-EJ01.

I mainly listen to electronic/rock (Radiohead, David Bowie, Front 242 etc.) and they sound incredible to my ears. Very detailed and aggresive. They are a bit harsh at first but once they have had time to burn in they mellow out nicely.

Now, I'm not an audiophile by any means, but to my relatively untrained ears the soundstage/placement is superb. The music sounds like it's 'all around your head', if you know what I mean. I think most Sennheisers are pretty good in this department. The only complaint I may have is SLIGHTLY recessed mids. In some recordings it is a non-issue, but on the occasional recording the mid range seems to be slightly lacking, which seems to be a result from the shoddy stock cable. Get the Equinox cable, and apparently the recessed mids disapear, and the overall sound improves drastically.

If you like an forward, aggresive sound, the 590's are perfect, IMO. If you like a tamer, smooth sound (read: boring
biggrin.gif
), maybe try something else.

Oct 25, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Dude, you won a pair? Sweet! Where and how? And thanks for the input Geist, now I REALLY want to try them.

Oct 25, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Dude, you won a pair? Sweet! Where and how? And thanks for the input Geist, now I REALLY want to try them.

127 Shipped ubid.com Factory refurbed

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 13
I think sennheiser usa offers refurb cans with no shipping. I don't know about the higher end stuff, but I got my first of cans from their refurb list.
md

Oct 25, 2002 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I have no problem with refurbished goods if they are in good shape. I bought my monitor (21" Sony Trinitron) Refurbished several years ago for $270. I guess that may make me a little biased though. But feneral, people who make a habit of selling refurished stuff have to make sure the products are in good shape or they'll get a bad name fast.

DarkWolf,

The 590's are very good phones. They have a very good soundstage, and they work very well without an amp and are especially well suited for rock and electronic music. I think you'll be very happy with them.

Where you have a lot of debate is when you start comparing the 590's to the 580's and the 600's. 590's are more exciting phones. You put them on and you have that 'wow' factor. You like what you hear. However, the 580's are more refined. They're not bright (bright meaning high frequencies are somewhat exaggerated, although that gives the impression of greater detail and excitement) and they sound smoother. The differences are apparent, but not night and day. More like light and dark shades of gray. It's sort of like comparing wine and wine cooler. Wine cooler is fun, it's sweet, tasty and gives you a nice buzz. Wine is an acquired taste that's more subtle and refined.

As I mentioned earlier, the 590's are good phones. If you have ok sources and rock/electronic music, you'll be very happy with them. However, those who listen to music critically, demand the perfection to the Nth degree and have bought really good CD players and amps generally prefer the smoothness and musicality of the 580's and 600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back