Is this too loud for headphones?
Jun 3, 2015 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

WolfFlow

Head-Fier
Hello, is this too loud for headphones to the point where it might be damaging? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1wUy4PQhaE

Keep in mind that it's a sound demo and the person is using a high quality recorder right in that box between the ears. So it doesn't sound that loud standing next to them, what your hearing is the recorder as if you had the headphones on yourself. But it seemed really loud to me. I'm not sure if it's loud enough to damage, so what do you think? He takes it off the ears around halfway through the video, then you can hear what it sounds like when away from the recorder. Also, if your wondering it's the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. Which is very easily driven but he's using a FiiO EO9K desktop amplifer to drive them. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 2
It's hard to tell if its' "too loud" given I have my own volume control over here and at my normal listening settings the sound wasn't loud. If you're asking about whether it will damage the headphone, that depends - all kinds of transducers when given a powerful signal that isn't clipping and the drivers aren't hitting their excursion limits (I didn't hear either so I can't tell, maybe the recorder just couldn't pick that up) aren't going to just bust. They'd have to run unventilated for a long time for that to even damage them otherwise, or made to play frequencies too low for their limits; given a really good amp and a reasonably efficient headphone (or speaker, and in a small enough room) the normal human listener is more likely to give up before there is too much distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back