is this the right sylvania 5751?
Apr 11, 2004 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pr0crastin8r

New Head-Fier
In my search for the legendary sylvania 5751 gold brand with triple mica, grey plate, and gold pins, i found this.

P4090025.JPG

I'm about to strike a deal for it ($50 shipped), but if anybody could confirm that I'm buying the right one based on the picture, that would be much appreciated.

oh, and he said it doesn't look like it has gold pins... does that matter?

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 7
I thought it was the black plates that were in such demand? I think the gray plates are good also, just not as good as the black plate version. Sadly, the black plates are reported as having a shorter useful life also, so maybe this is for the better?

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 7
according to joe's tube lore,

http://www.nickdangerous.com/misc/mg...estubelore.htm

it's the next best tube after the black plate but does indeed last longer. i guess i must have misread it originally -- i just read the "ok, this is the legend" part and didn't read on to how it was only the 2nd or 3rd best tube. but a longer life for a little quality loss doesnt sound too bad to me. is $50 a good price, or should i have asked for $40? ah well, too late now
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 7
It is still reported as being an exceptional tube for 12AX7 use. It should serve you well and be quite a dramatic increase in sound quality over the stock tubes, or any modern production tube for that matter.

Congrats on the find! Make sure to report in and let us know how you like the sound of your tunes once this little gem is in place.

Apr 11, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 7
I have this exact tube with gold pins - I prefer it to the blackplate. They're very similar, I think the gold brand/pin has a bit more bass and tubey-ness while sacraficing some detail and focus to the "colder" black plate. Again these differences are extremely minor, the tubes are very close in sound.

EDIT: I just passed up one on eBay because I missed the snipe!

-dd3mon

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Pr0crastin8r
what benefits do gold pins have over non gold pins?

Couldn't tell ya. This is a gold brand (GB), how it differs from mine besides gold plated pins, I don't know. Internal construction looks the same. I'd venture a guess that they're the same sans gold plating.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back