Is this sutable for making cables?
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 13
You can use almost anything "METAL" to pass a signal to and from an audio amp/source..But I do question the casting purity or how this wire was "Pulled".....Years ago a real small hollow copper tubing was used for ICs' "Cogan-Hall" had their "Intermezzo" etc.etc. but back to your question, I'd be afraid of the Jewelry type of wire for audio purposes.... Allen Wright sells a book and materials for the DIYers that's nice......hope this helps

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Have at it bdragon122!!!! But I would try to solder a joint and see how "It" takes the solder, Does it flow or bound well, Try this before you do all the other work making your cables....good luck

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Will you put some sheathing on it? I have read of a claim someone used a wire coat hanger as an IC during a blind test between ICs and no one realised, allegedly.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you put some sheathing on it? I have read of a claim someone used a wire coat hanger as an IC during a blind test between ICs and no one realised, allegedly.

paper clips is what i used it works resistance was really high lol

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah i'll be putting it in some Dyneema Bridle Line from my other expensive hobby (Power kites) it expands when compressed just like normal sleeving and the stuff i'v got has a nice tight box shape to the braid.

Quote:

Have at it bdragon122!!!! But I would try to solder a joint and see how "It" takes the solder, Does it flow or bound well, Try this before you do all the other work making your cables....good luck

will do ^^ should take silver solder well anough if not a bit of emmory paper and a lot of flux should help it along.

I dont know if its just me but i find making interconnects and little cheapy cmoy amps very calming ^^

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 13
Please post photos bdragon122. I too find this new hobby very satisfying.

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Will do ^^ just got to wait for the wire to turn up, not to worried if it sounds bad as this is just to see how it works and i'v got several IC's that are good anouth for my audio needs everything eles i make is for the joy of making it. I dont think i'll be using this cable with the viablues i just ordered good job i got a lot of the Maplin 3.5 trs plugs.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't know about sound, but I'm sure it'll look great with the viablue plugs. Those are so pretty.

If you want to be really crazy, use graphite or something an an IC. Higher resistance, but it's so unusual, it would be almost unique.

Don't use pencil lead.

May 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 13
here ya go Prog, a little delay in building it as i was waiting for some bridle line to do the sleeveing.

Dam my worktop is grubby

Well it sounds as good if not a little better (placebo???) than my other one made from E-gutair Interlink wire.

2*black dyneema bridle lines (decored and silver wire threaded through)
1* above with core still in (for a 4 line braid)
1*white dyneema bridle line with silver wire for core
3 strands of sterling silver Jewellry wire 24 gauge
2* viablue 3.5 TRS plugs

next one i'm going to invedualy sheeve the wire in braided leather like this stuff http://www.cordsandwires.eu/index.php?cPath=1 the store sent me some samples and it looks good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back