Is this stupid?
Apr 11, 2006 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
Is it stupid to buy headphones without listening to them??

My last buy an AKG K81, I bought it online, never heard the thing.
But they are very nice, for the purpose I bought them. These are not expense can.

But now I`m awaiting a pair of SR225`s, they`ll ship tommorow. I never have heard a grado EVER......
I`ll be surprised. Do you think it`s stupid to buy stuff this way???

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 24
Not very many places here where you can audition headphones before you buy. And some will change sound dramaticly with burn in (hd280pro for example) so the audition would not be such a good reference unless they had burned in cans used exclusively for auditioning.

Be ready to be let down by some of your purchases though, I´ve found we all must have very diffirent ears, as I´ve been quite dissapointed by some head-fi recomended phones.

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 24
Nope; don't think it's stupid at all.

Sometimes we just have to do as much research as we can, and when we're satisfied that the data suggests the proper course of action....

......I often feel that the research is almost as much fun as the purchase!!

I did that before ordering my MS-1s(with the idea that if I DID in fact like the sound, that MS-2s would follow)

It worked for me!!

Sometimes we just gotta give it a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 24
I have to buy the exact same way as you.Im living in West Ireland and there is nowhere near me that you can try out any headphones.I think this site is the best place to do your research and help you make your decision.

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 24
I took a risk and bought my RS-1s without ever having heard a Grado before. There was nowhere near me that had any I could listen to so I read and read and made an informed choice. Either that or I bought them because they looked the coolest.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
Is it stupid to buy headphones without listening to them??

No, it is not stupid, but it is more risky. You should be prepared to return or sell the ones you end up not liking.

As others said, not many shops let you audition headphones anyway.

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 24
NO shops around me even have any good headphones (best I've seen is the PX100's o_O), it's the usual crap line of Sony earbuds and other crappy stuff, So most/all of my purchases are done online. Puts me at a slight disadvantage but I usually can adapt to different "sounds" of headphones.

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 24
Most of the reputable dealers will have some type of liberal return policy so it's not too bad. When I started all this I ordered some SR80s, didn't like them, sent them back, ordered some HD580s, decided to move up so I sent them back and got the HD650s. So far I hadn't spent anything.
So, no, it's not stupid if you can send back what you like. Or even buy used in which case you'll be able to get most if not all of your money back.

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 24
Stupid? No. Risky? Yes, if you buy from a retailer that doesn't offer an audition period or money-back guarantee.

Have you considered attending Dutch Head-Fi meets? They're a great way to try out gear and meet fellow Head-Fi'ers.

I second DevilDog and highly recommend buying used gear. If you don't like the item, you can resell it for minimal loss of money.

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 24
I've bought cans on the blind many times before without first having auditioning them. The key is to do as much research as possible on the pair of cans you plan on buying. Read up on any impressions good or bad on that particular set of cans and ask any questions here on the headphone forums that you may have. If you can find a used set for sale, that would be the way to go. If not a reputable retailer that offers a return policy should you not be satisfied with your purchase is also another option.

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 24
I've done a little of both... buying cans I've heard and taking blind chances. Truth be told, you won't really know if a headphone is honestly "for you" for several weeks after you buy it. All headphones I've had have come with a "honeymoon" phase where I've been in love with things that I eventually came to dislike, or wish differently of.

The point being: I think all headphones are often "bought blindly" because of the subtleties inherant in high end headphones.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 24
I feel that auditioning cans, isn`t all that. You must really spent awhile with a pair to know them well.

It`s like dating, maybe the first 2 dates are great and after that you`ll find things that will annoy you. The same goes for cans.

All the cans I bought, I still own them all. None of them disappointed in a way that I felt they must go. Ok some of them are used by girlfriend and my little sister.
But hey, this way I can suck all the people around me in the wonderful world called Head-fi.

my 2 cents

Cylanes

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 24
Cylanes totally got it in a better way than I could describe it... headphones are KIND of like dating! Those first few dates might be amazing (or horrible... SA5K I'm looking at YOU) but often have no bearing on how the headphones will hold up in your collection months from now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back