Is this setup considered "high-end"?
Aug 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Is this an audiophile setup? I would be using a Bottlehead Crack w/ no speedball upgrade, Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohm, Blue Jeans LC-1, and a vintage Pioneer CDP/Pioneer turntable.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 48
Why does it matter?  Do you judge equipment base on its price rather than your own ears?

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 48
Mid-fi
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 48

Quote:
Why does it matter?  Do you judge equipment base on its price rather than your own ears?

Yes, it's all about sound. Will a vintage turntable, $10,000 amp, vinyl records, and the best headphone ever be considered high end if it doesn't synergies and sounds like Sh**? No, then it wouldn't be high end, maybe in price, but not sound.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 48

Quote:
Is this an audiophile setup? I would be using a Bottlehead Crack w/ no speedball upgrade, Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohm, Blue Jeans LC-1, and a vintage Pioneer CDP/Pioneer turntable.

I get where "sennhi" is coming from. Everyone is a bit curious as to what it is they are listening to...compared to the "ultimate". That curiosity is what drives the "phile" in us. "Maybe if I change this...or.. maybe if I change that". The ultimate probably doesnt really exist! There are for sure many steps along the way. In the end, the measure is largely subjective.

IMO an "audiophile" is one in pursuit of the above. Never ending as it may be.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 48
Question: What is "mid-fi." I've read anything from costing $100 to $500 called "mid-fi." The definition seems to vary.

I guess "mid-fi" means there is a significantly higher level out there, but if the HD 650's are "mid-fi" I'll eat my hat. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 48
Think of it this way...... there are headphones out there not as good as what you have and there are headphones out there that are clearly better than the HD-650s.  Therefore you are in the middle of the road or "mid-fi". I guess hi-fi is equipment that competes with other top end gear where there is no clear winner.  

Also the hi-fi of today may not be the same hi-fi of tomorrow :)

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 48

There are dozens of people saying that HD650 in the right setup can sit alongside 1K headphones. I think it has to do with synergy.

When you build a really synergy-wise setup around "mid-fi" headphones as you call it, climbing up to a "better" sound is really hard.

Quote:
Think of it this way...... there are headphones out there not as good as what you have and there are headphones out there that are clearly better than the HD-650s.  Therefore you are in the middle of the road or "mid-fi". I guess hi-fi is equipment that competes with other top end gear where there is no clear winner.  

Also the hi-fi of today may not be the same hi-fi of tomorrow :)

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

There are dozens of people saying that HD650 in the right setup can sit alongside 1K headphones. I think it has to do with synergy.

When you build a really synergy-wise setup around "mid-fi" headphones as you call it, climbing up to a "better" sound is really hard.

Well to sort of compare apples the apples the 1k phone would also be on a rig with synergy.  Do you honestly belive that the hd-650 on a rig with synergy could ever completely equal or outperform something like a LCD-2 on its own synergized rig?  I don't belive it would.  However, I will let you know soon. I have a HD-800 and LCD-2 on order.  Untill then you could be right, im not quite sure.

Side note: who really cares about the whole mid-fi, hi-fi, summit-fi stuff?  It really doesn't matter except it increases your e-ego.  If a $500 phone sounds better than a $1500 im all for it. 

End result: if you are happy thats all that matters

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 48
That's my whole point 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Side note: who really cares about the whole mid-fi, hi-fi, summit-fi stuff?  It really doesn't matter except it increases your e-ego.  If a $500 phone sounds better than a $1500 im all for it. 

End result: if you are happy thats all that matters

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 48
If you have to ask, you probably aren't there.

If your system sounds good and you've assembled it with a 'cost is no object' mindset, then you're probably within swinging distance.  Though, there's the possible exception of people who buy Siltech Emperor cables
rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 48
I am just wondering if anyone has an suggestions for other gear that may sound better--it should be priced the same as the gear that I have listed. I want as close as I can get to audiophile-grade sound. I know that this is subjective, but I still would like to know what most people consider audiophile-grade.
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back