Is this safe?
Dec 18, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 29
Is the item something that can be counterfeited? Broken?

Do you need to test the item? If the item performs some type of task be sure to test the item. Can the item be easily carried?

Use a very public place to make the transaction.

I'm a very big guy so I have made exchanges by myself, but I don't recommend it for mere mortals. Take someone with you and make the place very public.

Always exchange info with the Seller/Buyer. I always make sure that I have a non-cell number, an address and even a place of work. Don’t ask for this information unless you are willing to also provide this information.

Since the item being sold is unknown it difficult to give specific advise.

Good luck

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Is the item something that can be counterfeited? Broken?

Do you need to test the item? If the item performs some type of task be sure to test the item. Can the item be easily carried?

Use a very public place to make the transaction.

I'm a very big guy so I have made exchanges by myself, but I don't recommend it for mere mortals. Take someone with you and make the place very public.

Always exchange info with the Seller/Buyer. I always make sure that I have a non-cell number, an address and even a place of work. Don’t ask for this information unless you are willing to also provide this information.

Since the item being sold is unknown it difficult to give specific advise.

Good luck

They are a pair of rare headphones.. I will ask him to leave it on playing when I arrive, to see if it's okay. It's in supposedly mint condition. What I'm thinking is that the normal fellow would scam on iPods and such, not rare expensive headphones..

A public place won't work to see if the headphones are okay, unfortunately. I have a phone number to contact him through, and he has mine.

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 29
I definitely prefer ca$h.

I did about $3500 local sales over the last year and it was all cash evenly split between buying and selling.

I've just met the people in public a place, in broad daylight.

That said- There's a big difference though between selling an exotic audio cable or some esoteric component and someone selling an X-box 360 today. You know- something so obscure no one in their right mind would even know what it was compared to a hot, in demand and commonly scammed item.

So I’d base my actions on what is being sold.

The funny part is in all my transactions I was probably the one they were worried about. One guy said he was busy and wanted to meet me at a highway park and ride. I was bringing $800 cash. That seemed weird to me so I met him at a stereo shop. Turns out he was some high priced real estate lawyer.

Common sense and a little caution goes a long way.

Mitch

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
They are a pair of rare headphones.. I will ask him to leave it on playing when I arrive, to see if it's okay. It's in supposedly mint condition. What I'm thinking is that the normal fellow would scam on iPods and such, not rare expensive headphones..

A public place won't work to see if the headphones are okay, unfortunately. I have a phone number to contact him through, and he has mine.

Wacha gettin'?
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
I definately prefer ca$h.

I did about $3500 local sales over the last year and it was all cash evenly split between buying and selling.

I've just met the people in public a place, in broad daylight.

There's a big difference though between selling an exotic audio cable or esoteric component and someone selling an X-box 360 today. You know- something so obscure no one in their right mind would even know what it was compared to a hot, in demand and commonly scammed item.

So I’d base my actions on what is being sold.

Mitch

That is exactly what I was thinking.. it's a really whacky product, so I'll just go for it and hope for the best. I will keep my fingers crossed - picking up on the 23rd/24th.

Dec 18, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Wacha gettin'?
biggrin.gif

My blind guess would be some form of grado HP-1000s . . .
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 29
Regardless of what has been said I would not go along. It would have to be in an open space in broad daylight. If your friend feels unconfortable he/she can wait in the background like on a separate table in the mall food court but in full view of you.

Oh, and if you do not feel confortable walk away.

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #23 of 29
See if he'll take a money order. It's the same thing as cash more or less...

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #24 of 29
I've done plenty of transactions in person with cash, or even via paypal a couple times at the guy's house. Never had a problem. Bring a friend if you're REALLY worried, but I wouldn't sweat it. Is this really unusual? Sure there's some risk, but you're both taking it. The whole point is that you get to see the goods and he gets to see the cash. A money order or bank issued cashier's check can be forged, I sure as heck wouldn't take one in person. How would I know it's a real money order? It could be some fancy computer printout. I'd only accept it if it cleared and then I would ship the item, never in person.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #25 of 29
If you're picking up the item, requesting cash only is reasonable. I've done a few in-person cash transactions (for similar amounts) that originated online and never had a problem. Personally, I would never accept any sort of check, cashier or otherwise, if someone was picking up the item. As John-jcb said, there is conterfeit everything out there. Bring a friend or keep the cash in the car if you're unsure. Another tip, meet in a very public place like a Starbuck's or something.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #26 of 29
Meet in a public place... never meet in some place where your safety can be compromised. If he has nothing to hide - he wont mind meeting you anywhere public. If you want someplace quiet and conducive to headphones listening... go to your local library and just bring the headphones/amp in a school backpack, find a table, hook them up, and check them out.

I'm sure since its wintertime, there arent that many kids to stare at you and your contraption.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #27 of 29
You can hire me as a personal bodyguard, with a fee of course
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #28 of 29
Dealing with people online and to locally.  is quite a thing to get really knowledgable in.

heres some advice.
make the transaction at a local, public place.
i would prefer Starbucks, because its a more casual place.
and sit in the way back but not a shady spot.

have the guy say how he looks like, and what he would be wearing that day.

then go to the starbucks, and wait. and have a chat on what you're going to be doing to the workers(dont tell what you are gonna buy, cuz they dont want to know you're going to spend 1k)
like say "hey ill be waiting for a guy that's gonna meet up with me"

its always safe to have a friend come along. but if you do bring one. *have him stand next to the exits. and not get involved with your transaction(hes only for blocking the door).
dont let the guy know your friend is around.
Go with the flow, but dont let the guy get the cash until he brings out the headphones (dont forget to check it out, make sure its working good)
make the transaction. and if the guy starts running away, you and your friend should definitely stop him, dont let him go outside.
the rest is what you'll be doing next, but dont do anything that you get in trouble if he plans to make a false lawsuit. because then, the Starbucks store has cameras watching him

you should not accept a Meetup at a open area. and not at his house or apartment.
a nice non-shady resturant/ drink shop like Starbucks, Tropical Smoothie, etc etc

also, dont get scammed. if you give him all the cash in bulk; he could drop tje money and make false accusation that you didnt give him enough money.
so be sure to closely, and clearly count the money to him. and give him the cash in small amounts.

so that means you should have the money separated in a easy wrap. (preferably all in 100$'s so you will just be counting 10 bills of 100$= 1k$

good luck, and happy shopping

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #29 of 29
Cashiers check fraud is common enough that a large number of retailers won't accept them.  Money orders are similarly distrusted by and large, in my experience.

The way I've dealt with large transactions such as this is to make it clear that if the deal checks out, then the transaction is taken to the nearest office of your bank.  Only there will you be able to hand the cash over, at which point the item in question is relinquished.  This alleviates a substantial portion of the risk relating to the transaction from both parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back