Is this "ringing?"
Apr 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wes008

500+ Head-Fier
I, like many of you, read Inner Fidelity religiously, and try and learn all I can about headphone/audio technology. Now that I've taken the time to learn what the data means, I very much enjoy looking at headphone measurements from Inner Fidelity and other sites and comparing graphs and such. Tyll has talked a bit about ringing before, and I know what ringing looks like on an impulse response, but I couldn't before pick out what ringing is when listening to music. However, in the past, I've noticed through my Grados that a few tracks have some bright noise that does indeed sound like a faint ringing sound. I had always just thought of it as an effect in the song, since I can only hear it on certain tracks, and seemingly only with my Grados. This morning, I realized, is this what the "ringing" that Tyll is talking about is? 
confused_face_2.gif
 Thanks for any clarification. Cheers. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Well there are others who can explain it better than I can, but since no one has responded, I will just say that the term "ringing" is a bit misleading because of what the word connotes. When speaking of ringing in headphones, it'd be wrong to think of the sound a bell makes when it rings.

More accurately, ringing in headphones just means resonance, or the lingering of a frequency through reflections. What you're hearing on your Grados may just be in the recording itself, and since Grados elevate the high frequencies more so than other headphones, that may be why you only notice it on your Grados.

That said, Grados are notorious for having ringing at a few frequencies.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Well there are others who can explain it better than I can, but since no one has responded, I will just say that the term "ringing" is a bit misleading because of what the word connotes. When speaking of ringing in headphones, it'd be wrong to think of the sound a bell makes when it rings.

More accurately, ringing in headphones just means resonance, or the lingering of a frequency through reflections. What you're hearing on your Grados may just be in the recording itself, and since Grados elevate the high frequencies more so than other headphones, that may be why you only notice it on your Grados.

That said, Grados are notorious for having ringing at a few frequencies.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. It's probably just the tracks, although Grados definitely have some resonance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back