Is This Possible....Using my old MacBook purely for iTunes / Music & Nothing Else??
Jul 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JackRabbitSlims

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.

I have an old Macbook ( one of the black ones bought in 2008 ) I have since upgraded to a new MBA.

The old MacBook has my entire iTunes library on it and is synced to my iPod Classic which I use a lot.
I still buy CD's and load them on the Old Macbook and then sync them to the iPod.
99% of the time the Black Macbook is away in a cupboard. I travel most of the year and use the MBA when abroad

The MBA has no music in iTunes....I would like to keep the space for Travel Photos.

My question is this: - Is it possible to remove ALL software from the Old MacBook apart from iTunes and use it solely as a storage device for my Music...no photos, no mail, no safari, nothing, just iTunes? - if so, how is this done please?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered.
Cheers.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 4
I am not a MAC guy, so take this with a grain of salt. I am not sure how iOS deals with you trying to rip out core functionality. I imagine the best bet would be to simply uninstall everything that is not build into the OS. Can you back up your music offsite (allowing you to reinstall an OS?) there used to be a DJ specific distro of Mint that people used pretty well for this sort of thing. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Most of the non-core related applications you can remove safely, provided you have kept a backup copy and can reinstall them if necessary. For Macs, to uninstall the unwanted apps, you just delete them from the "Applications" folder on the harddisk. There is no complicated uninstall utility or steps involved. However, unless you are really short of harddisk space, just removing the applications won't save you much, perhaps maybe free you to add a couple more lossless songs. LOL. It is the media themselves, like photos and videos, that take up much of the space. So just keep your iPhoto library empty, for example, is enough.

I have a similar setup as you, where I have a MBP as my primary computer for my photos editing (bigger screen), and work. My MBA is solely for iTunes as a central place to store all my songs and videos, and for syncing my iDevices. The MBA also has its wifi connection switched off unless for downloading updates and other necessities. Internet is otherwise off to provide the most stable environment for music playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back