Is This Old Gear Still Usable?
Nov 16, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sasahara

100+ Head-Fier
Well for awhile now I have been using my father's old audio equipment for my music but recently I have started to wonder how far can this stuff really go/how much am I missing out on?

Denon DCD-1520 CD player/Pioneer turntable
Luxman 507X amplifier (Could not find much on this piece. It is apparently from the mid-late 70s though)
This is getting pumped to 4 Sansui speakers or a pair of RP-21s a friend sold to me after seeing my Sansui SS-50s lol.

Any help is appreciated!

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 6
Wow! that's pretty cool that your dads has some old audio equipment.

Maybe he'll understand when you ask him for a pair of 500$ for xmas =p

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't know about the rest of your stuff, but the CD player is probably better quality than you think. Generally speaking pre-1990 CD players were really great stuff, simply because the format hadn't been solidified as something everyone needed. A lot of quality parts and labor, for the most part, went into CD players then.

I'm pretty sure that CD player is from about 1988, so it probably falls in this category.

In the end, it's all subjective. Are there parts of the sound that you think could be improved? What do you want to get out of your experience? Address these questions and you'll know if you want/need more or not. It all comes down to your enjoyment.

Also, another generic piece of advice, if you do decide to start upgrading, whether it be the amp or getting a preamp for the Vinyl or whatever, look into DIY stuff. It'll save you loads of money for the most part.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all the great quick replies guys!

Bomo.is.ooc - Yeah, this thing is pretty sturdy to say the least. It feels as if I am constantly discovering new sounds in recordings I have listened to for years.

Alvin - Seems pretty alright so far. It has some bizzare quirks though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back