is this normal??
Jan 30, 2007 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Noya

New Head-Fier
Ok so I used copypod to back up my ipod.... I saved everything on my personal hard drive, and than transferd all the music into itunes....
When I connected my ipod to put all my music back on it itunes woulden't let me do it....it said the files could not be found. (the files of each song)
when I connected my hardrive with all my music saved on it and than connected my ipod I had no problem putting the songs from itunes to my ipod....is this normal??? so now if my ipod crashes again I have to connect my hardrive before I can pull anything from itunes to my ipod???
confused.....
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 3
the files are on your personal (i'm assuming removeable) hard drive. when you added them to itunes, all itunes did was make a list of all of them. it didn't copy them to the computer's built in hard drive, it still thinks they are all on your removeable hard drive and just points to where they are. so, when you removed your personal hard drive and tried to add them to your ipod, itunes said "hey they aren't there anymore". when you had your personal hard drive plugged in, it obviously could use them and sync them to the ipod.

you can either keep your stuff on your portable hard drive and just always have it plugged in when you want to sync

or

you can copy those files to the computer's built in hard drive. to do this automatically with itunes, you can change one option.
in itunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced (its a tab) > you should be in the General tab

check the box that says "copy files to the itunes music folder when adding to library". click ok

that means that from now on, whenever you add something to itunes, it will copy it to the itunes folder on the computers built in hard drive.

if you want to have all the music thats on your portable hard drive (and already listed in itunes) copied to the itunes folder, an easy way to do that is:

(in itunes) Advanced > Consolidate library

then click through the prompts. that will take all the listings in your library that point to your portable hard drive right now, copy the files to the built in hard drive, and fix the listing in itunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back