Is this normal for getting a new amp???
Sep 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

opponentmule2

WARNING! DO NOT TRADE! FEEDBACK IS FROM A DUPLICATE ACCOUNT!
IP Address matches arachon101, Holy8414171
I just recently upgraded from an Iphone powered K702 to a E12 +LOD+ Iphone powered K702 for over a day. However, in this time, I did some A/B testing and just general listening. It is normal that i heard little to no difference between the SQ? I checked all the serial code on this brand new E12, and everything was legit. 

I desperately want to like and hear the difference of the music, and want to justify for spending this money. Most of my music 256-320 Kbs, so i don't know if that makes a BIG difference as to FLAC?

What i'm hearing is getting a little bit better, everything appears to be a little cleaner, but i'm not getting a WOW effect like i thought i would because the K702 is hard to drive. Is this normal? Also, will i get a WOW effect when my Modi comes in to be paired with the E12?

Please keep in mind that i'm a complete noob audiophile noob as well, so i just keep blaming my ears. Maybe they're just not used to the level of detail and can't hear it. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Not normal.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 11
The bass seem to be there a lot more due to the power of the amp, and everything seem to have a tiny bit more details. But i'm still not getting a WOW factor after 1-2 days of listening.

I'm starting to get worried. I heard glowing reviews of the E12 everywhere. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 11
I just recently upgraded from an Iphone powered K702 to a E12 +LOD+ Iphone powered K702 for over a day. However, in this time, I did some A/B testing and just general listening. It is normal that i heard little to no difference between the SQ? I checked all the serial code on this brand new E12, and everything was legit. 

I desperately want to like and hear the difference of the music, and want to justify for spending this money. Most of my music 256-320 Kbs, so i don't know if that makes a BIG difference as to FLAC?

What i'm hearing is getting a little bit better, everything appears to be a little cleaner, but i'm not getting a WOW effect like i thought i would because the K702 is hard to drive. Is this normal? Also, will i get a WOW effect when my Modi comes in to be paired with the E12?

Please keep in mind that i'm a complete noob audiophile noob as well, so i just keep blaming my ears. Maybe they're just not used to the level of detail and can't hear it. 

Well the K702 is 62 ohms with a sensitivity of 105 SPL/V, so it really isn't very hard to drive. When most people say hard to drive, they mean it should be paired with an amp with good sound quality, not that the headphone requires tremendous power. You should notice a cleaner sound, a bit better imaging/soundstage, and deeper bass, with more impact... but if you're looking for a more detailed sound then an upgrade to your DAC is necessary. The amp for the most part mirrors what the DAC sends it, perhaps colouring the sound a little by design.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Thank you, that seems to make a little more sense. 

Looks like the big WOW factor will come once the Modi gets here. What you said was was extactly what i experienced. It's like the same sounds, but slightly cleaner and with much more impact due to the power. 

Do i really need FLAC over the 256-320 KBS though? I heard a lot of debates as to if that makes a difference, and it'll cost a good chunk of money to completely buy my albums again on CD 

Also, how much better SQ should i reasonbly expect if i let's say upgrade to an Lyr or Burson SL? What would you suggest to drive these K702?

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Listen with the amp for a week exclusively, then take it out of line and listen with out it.  At that point you will probably hear that the phones are not being driven as well directly out of the headphone port.  Oh, and you are using the docking port out of the iphone to feed the amp, not the headphone port, right?  

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 11
Yep, using the LOD. Fiio L9. 

I guessing my ears just have to get used to it. Hehe, wish every upgrade just hits you with a WOW factor straight away, instead of requiring burn in.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 11
The original benefit of amping was to use the line out in the iPods as well as addressing impedance mismatch between headphone out and headphones.  In addition hopefully the external amp is better and more powerful, thus  driving the headphone better.  So you may only see the latter of the improvements, but get used to it and then recheck, sometimes these things are subtle.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Thank you, that seems to make a little more sense. 

Looks like the big WOW factor will come once the Modi gets here. What you said was was extactly what i experienced. It's like the same sounds, but slightly cleaner and with much more impact due to the power. 

Do i really need FLAC over the 256-320 KBS though? I heard a lot of debates as to if that makes a difference, and it'll cost a good chunk of money to completely buy my albums again on CD 

Also, how much better SQ should i reasonbly expect if i let's say upgrade to an Lyr or Burson SL? What would you suggest to drive these K702?

There are benefits to buying an amplifier with good sound quality though. Your amplifier has to be able to keep up with your DAC in terms of soundstage, imaging, extension, and detail retrieval. You can have the greatest DAC or amp in the world, but without good sound quality out of the other you will only get mediocre sound. While the DAC makes the music, your amp has to be able to supply ample power while not messing up the high quality signal coming from the DAC.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Oh i see, i always thought the amp was the most important part of the DAC/Amp system.

I guess a Modi + Lyr won't do so well? As the Lyr greatly outclasses the Modi

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 11
We
Oh i see, i always thought the amp was the most important part of the DAC/Amp system.

I guess a Modi + Lyr won't do so well? As the Lyr greatly outclasses the Modi

Well I'm not the right person to answer that question, because I haven't heard either of those. I feel that the DAC is most important, but only if your amp can keep up. A lot of people argue which is most important because they have to work together in order to create a good signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back