Is this just too much money for an amp?
Jan 20, 2005 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dr.Vencman

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking at the CORDA HA-1 MkII and CORDA HA-2 from Jan's site. I have a cheap CD player that does not cost more than $200(!) Is it worth getting the more expensive amp? Is this just too much money I am spending on an amp and will not hear the difference? (Although upgrading the CD player is not completely out of the question...)

Headphones (will be) Beyer 880's and I listen to just about everything except techno etc.

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 12
I'll tell you right now, listening to a dt880 w/ amp from a bad source is gonna most likely sound like crap, or sub-par at best. It really depends on your source.

What cd player ya using?

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
I am looking at the CORDA HA-1 MkII and CORDA HA-2 from Jan's site. I have a cheap CD player that does not cost more than $200(!) Is it worth getting the more expensive amp? Is this just too much money I am spending on an amp and will not hear the difference? (Although upgrading the CD player is not completely out of the question...)

Headphones (will be) Beyer 880's and I listen to just about everything except techno etc.

Thanks!

That was the wrong question to ask on this board.......Sorry about your wallet.
blink.gif
frown.gif
basshead.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Argh! That's what I was afraid of. The CD player is a CDP-XE330

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=348

It's one of the best of the cheap cd players... What CD player would you recommend then? Is $500+ a good round figure? I would like something that is equal in SQ to the amps I'm looking at.

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
That was the wrong question to ask on this board.......Sorry about your wallet.
blink.gif
frown.gif
basshead.gif

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure I know what you mean.... My minimum budget was at first $1000 but I did not think it was such a great idea to just "jump into" something without knowing what I was doing. Sounds reasonable to start cautiously no?

Thanks for any advice or help you can provide though.
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 12
If you want to get a lot out of your DT880, try a source from around the $800 range, perhaps less if buying used. You can also check out the "dedicated source components" forum here.

With careful system matching/synergy, the DT880 are really great. But you need "body" from the source (try the Marantz CD7300 or Audio Analogue Primo) and "speed" from the amp (try the ANT Amber). That should be a sweet rig, actually, IMHO, of course.

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

What CD player would you recommend then? Is $500+ a good round figure?

Imo any 'flaws' on source may be masked by bad phones, or not enough amplification. Since your Beyer are good phones that many say also require good amplification, I'd suggest to complete your audio chain first, before upgrading source.

In addition, some good players like NAD can be had for about $250, and unlike phones or amps, you won't experience much audible improvement or variations going up to $1k players.

If you can hear differences between your current cdp and el cheapo dvd players, then it might worth exploring more expensive dedicated players. And still for that you need a good amped monitors in your ears.

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Thanks!

From my personal experience, I would say YES buy a good amp like a CORDA first, because the DT880 need good amplification (I once owned them myself). Don't listen to people who say that you have to buy a 800$ source first. This whole "source first" is crap IMHO. Your source is OK, but of course should be the next step in the upgrade path...

EDIT: And btw. the CORDA amps are reported to match extremely well with your DT880. So keep your source, buy the amp, listen, be happy and then, if after some time and experience you should feel the need to upgrade, care about the source...

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks to all so far for the advice and suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is what I had been thinking; get a good amp, then headphones, then upgrade the source if need be. CD players can be bought almost anywhere and I can't buy a headphone amp just down my street for example.

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 12
I started like you, Sony PDCP, Sony basic headphone. Upgraded to HA-1 MkII/ HD 600, then Bel Canto DAC 2. Now I'm considering Prehead Mk II and selling my HA-1 MkII (PM me if interested).

My poor wallet
frown.gif
, but the music rocks
600smile.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Thanks to all so far for the advice and suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is what I had been thinking; get a good amp, then headphones, then upgrade the source if need be. CD players can be bought almost anywhere and I can't buy a headphone amp just down <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=5&k=my%20street" onmouseover="window.status='my street'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">my street</a> for example.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back