Is this iPod mod possible?
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

One of my friends has a 4th gen 20 GB iPod (the one with the HP logo on the back), and I was wondering about a possible hard drive mod. Would a 160 GB iPod Classic drive fit in the case or would it be too thick? It needs a new battery too, but how reliable are the aftermarket replacements on ebay? Would a 4th gen 1200 mah iPod photo battery work in this 20 GB monochrome display iPod (they're both the 4th gen)? If I did get this to work, I'd put rockbox on it, if that matters.

I feel confident that if this is indeed possible, that I could put it together (if the drive will fit in the case). A few months ago, I did a screen replacement on it, and my friend says it worked fine afterwards.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

EDIT: I just did some research, and apparently the 4th gen uses a 50 pin connector and later models use a ZIF. Looks like if I was going to do this, I'd probably need a converter or something similar. Has anyone done this type of thing before?

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 6
you can convert ZIF to PIN I am not sure if anyone has done this on an ipod but it has been done before in other mp3 players.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudkip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
convert the zif to compact flash, get a 32GB compact flash card and put rock box on it.

Would that improve performance and/or battery life? Would it be compatible with a card that big?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back