Is this how you rip vinyl to a laptop?
Aug 31, 2004 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bln

Headphoneus Supremus
Turntable -> phono preamp -> RCA-to-mini cable -> USB soundcard's line input -> laptop?

I'm not interested in sound quality above all else. I need an inexpensive and convenient solution. Is what i described correct? Also, what sort of software do I use to transfer a vinyl record into digital files that I can burn onto a CD? Thanks.

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 6
I use the open source software Audacity with mac osx 10.3. It is cross platform (if I remember correctly) and is very easy to use. The only problem I can note is that there is no really obvious level/input meter... let me know if you find it
smily_headphones1.gif
I have just tried to estimate the level by the size of the wave form.

Turntable -> phono preamp -> RCA-to-mini cable -> USB soundcard's line input -> laptop?

Sure, that should work just fine. I am getting ready to experiment with an art di/o to do the digital conversion into the sound card. Good luck, and mind your levels!

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 6
There are probably many recommendations for software, but in my limited experience with audio recording, Cooledit Pro was easy to use and did the job. I believe it's being marketed now under Adobe as "Adobe Audition". Recording quality as well as ease of use were very good.

You can probably "Google" this subject and get a plethora of hits. It's a pretty popular subject. good luck

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelFranks
The only problem I can note is that there is no really obvious level/input meter... let me know if you find it
smily_headphones1.gif
I have just tried to estimate the level by the size of the wave form.

That's been the most requested feature and it's just been added (as the Meter Toolbar) to the latest version (1.2.2)

Aug 31, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Sweet Radar, thanks for the update!

I used cool edit about 5 years ago to chop up live recordings, it is great software but comes at a pretty penny. Audacity is free and more than sufficient for ripping vinyl, creating samples and so much more....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back