Is this headphone REALLY worth $1,999.99?
May 31, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 190
have you seen them running 2k+ in head-fi? 1999 is not that bad
tongue.gif

May 31, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 190
L3k new outside of Japan went for over $2k usually. I can see why one would start at this price.

Personally, I still value the L3k for less, since I could get it at street price, or better, in Japan. But now it's discontinued. I think if I really wanted a like-new L3k, I'd be willing to go to $2400, though that's probably (as usual) at the high side of the market.

Headphones this expensive are fairly common around here.

Best regards,

-Jason

May 31, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 190
I absolutely love my L3ks...gave up my grado ps-1 for these...something i thought i'd never do. Think they are comparable in terms of what they offer for a great, fun, dynamic headphone...except I love the comfort of these cans more. Plus, being closed headphones, I can wear them at work
smily_headphones1.gif

Satisifed my upgraditis..at least for dynamic headphones.

Perfectly happy with the money I spent on them.

May 31, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 190
Well, I paid more than that for mine, second hand as well.

By the way, ATH's headphone designer just came by Taiwan and here is some info he shared.

There won't be a 45th anniversary headphone. He said ATH wants to create outstanding special edition headphones so they will need more time for R&D.

As for taking care of the ATH woodies, he said ATH had considered it when they designed the woodies, so there is no need to specially care for them.

Finally, the reason for 5000 series's low output. He said the wood needs to go through 8 processes, so they are only able to produce 50 sets of wood each month. And even after that, ATH have to wait one month before they can use it.

May 31, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 190
About three months ago, there was a pair going for $1600 on eBay, they never sold. Prices fluctuate a lot on limited edition headphones so it's hard to set a price of what they're actually worth.

May 31, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
About three months ago, there was a pair going for $1600 on eBay, they never sold. Prices fluctuate a lot on limited edition headphones so it's hard to set a price of what they're actually worth.

They are worth what people are willing to pay. Price usually will slowly go up on headphones like these.

-Alex-

May 31, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #10 of 190
what do you think.........

thats all that matters! If you have to ask, you don't need to spend that on them!

May 31, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 190
When Audiocubes were taking pre orders on the L3000s, I jumped on the band wagon a got pair. Never regreted doing it and love the sound, cofort, and the smell of the Connolly leather. They also compliment my AT collection. If you thought they were expensive, there is also a British racing green with white piping version of the L3000s that was available exclusively only thru Audiotechnica for about (someone correct me if I'm wrong) $2500. Only 50 pairs of the British racing green verson of the L3000s have been made.

May 31, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 190
A little OT; but I wonder if John Grado would have taken a batch of RS-1 housings and had them flawlessly finished by some prestigeous furniature house with a drop dead appearance, added some Connolly leather to the headband and slightly redesigned the pads to be more luxurious; stuck them back in the 'ol wooden box and shipped them off, what he could have sold them for?

May 31, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
A little OT; but I wonder if John Grado would have taken a batch of RS-1 housings and had them flawlessly finished by some prestigeous furniature house with a drop dead appearance, added some Connolly leather to the headband and slightly redesigned the pads to be more luxurious; stuck them back in the 'ol wooden box and shipped them off, what he could have sold them for?

Sounds like a nice headphone...
rs1smile.gif

May 31, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
They are worth what people are willing to pay. Price usually will slowly go up on headphones like these.

-Alex-

Thats how eBay works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back