is this gear while travelling normal? :D
Jun 22, 2007 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

balou

500+ Head-Fier
I'm packing for my trip to hungary...
I've got a sports bag full of clothes, food for the first day, toilet articles etc. And a rucksack, devoted solely to various electronic gear
biggrin.gif

Included:
Nikon D70s with two lenses
iPod
Cmoy
Sony MDR-CD555
iBuds
portable loudspeaker
a vintage '89 gameboy with tetris.

ok, most of the space is occupied by that camera in its carry-on bag

That pretty much fills the whole rucksack. Are there other people who carry around that much stuff for holidays?
Am I normal?
icon10.gif

by the way, hungary still has got some sort of proprietary non-EU compatible money. I will be traveling without any local money. And the ride by train takes about 18 hours. Yeah, this is gonna be fun (ok with beer, it might actually be fun)

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't find it unreasonable. =]

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 9
When I travel, my carry-on ALWAYS gets taken aside once it passes through the airport xray and looked at by a TSA employee because I have so much stuff in it:

iPod (with AC charger)
Griffin iTrip for the rental car
Headphone amp - now MiniBox-E (with AC adapter)
Future Sonics Atrio M5 IEM's (in their own case with extra foamies)
Canon SD700IS camera (with battery charger)
Sony PSP - (seperate case inside the bag with PSP, adapters, Future Sonics EM3 IEMs, MiniBox-D amp, and games)
Sony Mini-DV camcorder (in seperate small bag with Ac adapter and extra tapes)
Dell Axim X51v (with seperate small case with AC adapter, bluetooth keyboard)
Electric Razor - (in its own case with AC adapter)

So when this bag with so many items and power cords, (2) amps, (2) IEMs, etc, it must look like a homemade bomb when it goes through the xray.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 9
I have heard of serveral CMoys being taken away by security because they look so strange...

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 9
While it's not unreasonable, I personally wouldn't take all that stuff on with me. If I need to travel for a really long time (like a 13 hour flight to China) I'll still bring just a few things to do. Usually I'll bring any camera equipment that I don't have a case for with my carry on, my MP3 player and earphones, a book, and some paper/pencils to doodle. The majority of the trip will be taken up sleeping, then reading or mindlessly listening to music, and maybe watching some in-flight movies. I never really get that bored on long trips.

For short trips, I sometimes won't even bring a carry-on, and for car rides (5hr+) I just need music and a pillow.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 9
leave the cmoy. a tin full of wires may look strange to an ignorant airport security person. I mean if they wouldn't let you bring harmless water on, what makes you think they will let you bring that on? (even though a tin full of wires, an op amp, some caps and a 9v battery really wouldn't make much of a bomb lol. . . although I guess you could rig it to shock someone.)

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Traveling with gear is fun. I try to keep it minimum when flying (IEM, small portable something) . If its on a car trip to a hotel, a small desk top rig is easy to lug along, even a small tube amp is fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back