is this CMOY any good? worth?
Jan 24, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 10
From reading the specs, I would guess that it is a bit better than average cmoy. You're still paying extra for the fancy case, but since it includes a DC power supply too, I don't think it's a bad deal.

[btw, I think the listing must have a typo, the 1uf output capacitor makes no sense, it must be 1uf input caps.]

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 10
cool man. i dont know but im just using my 0404 (coming) + ATH A900s phones. is it worth the extra $30 or something... or $20.. idont know ..heh

also, would it work to boost a signal? like my recordnig guitar. would this work? 0404 ---> cmoy ---> mic -microphone mic's the amp. obviuosly

cause recording is a lil quiet on its own as many know...would it work?

Jan 24, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Many builders here can easily make you a cmoy (although in different casing) for much less than that price shipped (even via global priority). From reading the specs, it seems just like a basic cmoy with extra power caps, and alot of flowered up wording that makes it seem like a nice amp. Unless he is shipping via global express mail (it says standard), i dont think $25 for shipping is very reasonable. I would rather go with a nicer "Mint" amp for that price range.

-ivan

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 10
dudesssss

his location is hong kong. my first post says that i live in hong kong!!!!!

hehhh so it'll be..i messaged him and he said $6 to mail it to me (although i dont know why i coudl go and pick it up from him..which would be $0)

so it is just like a normal CMOy.

how much would a normal CMOY (maybe about the same or better specs than this one) be without the fancy stuff then?

if i got someone to build it for me here, how much you think it would cost? (add shipping if you could tell me...to HONG KONG ><.) any hong kong cmoy buildingers here?

(and yes it would be GREAT to cut the price from 70....it is a lot of money to me and i am supposed to be on a tight budget...oh well)

Jan 25, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 10
One thing I like about this listing is the
Quote:

SMD decoupling capacitors placing as closer as possible to the IC pins (eliminate any high-frequency interference and noises)

that really does make a difference, especially with the op amp he uses. Most builders who advertise on ebay don't add those caps.

From what I've seen here, a battery operated mint tin cmoy might be $40, add $5 for a DC jack and another $10 for a wall wart power supply. Add $10 for internatioanl shipping and you're up to $65 already. So for $11 more you're getting a much nicer case that's better suited to home use than a mint tin. Mint tins are cute, but they get dented and scratched pretty easily.

Jan 26, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 10
any more opinions?

how does it compare to the pocketamp (as i just saw it on another thread heh.) and how would it compare to a MINT amp about the same price?

oh yeh about the last post, nice info, but acrlyic scrathes really easily too doesnt it?>

man. i relaly need some help. please answer if u can!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rob1031

how does it compare to the pocketamp (as i just saw it on another thread heh.)

Um, at least one headfi member owned one of these acryllic CMoys - it was sold in the Amps for sale forum a while back to another headfi member, not me as I couldnt haggle him down enough and then he sold it to somebody else for the price I offered anyway
biggrin.gif

If I recall correctly the seller really liked it.

I dont think you will easily get anybody with direct experience of the pocketamp *and* the acryllic Cmoy. Both are one-off instantiations so the number of builders is limited. If you buy one please post your impressions.

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 10
I'd say it's at the limit of what a high end cmoy would be. By high end I mean solen or wima caps for input and rubycon or nichicon caps for power, and opa-227 chips instead of the $1.35 a pop opa-134. I build them in this configuration with a rail splitter for the virtual ground and solen 0.22uf input caps all installed on a double sided pcb for less than what he is selling a cmoy for. I fit it all into a pactec handheld enclosure with blue led and an aluminum faceplate for a finished profesional look as well. My cost on all of that is around $40.00 U.S. The pcb and aluminum face plate eat up like $20.00 because I have to buy in small quantities. So he's probably trying to recoup his cost on the pcb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back