Is this any good?
Nov 16, 2003 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lil_JV

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a philips cd 920 for $30. I don't know if it is worth anything or how good it is. I got it because I don't want to use portables as a source anymore and it is virtually brand new. Anybody know how much it retailed for? I am thinking of modding it. Here is an ebay auction for one.

Thanks. JV.

Nov 16, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 4
For $30 and "virtually brand new" you lose nothing. I suspect it may be the lower end to the CD9xx series including the legendary and very popular back then CD960. I believe Philips players back then are known to be very musical but does not challenge todays cd players for their resolution, treble or bass. I believe they have a more "analog" sound compared to todays cd players which tend to sound more "hifi".

Just make sure everything tests out OK before buying.

Nov 16, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks. Everything works fine. Well back to listening.
600smile.gif

Woooohoooo 100 posts.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 4
Does it have the 'FTS' ?

It's a pretty cool feature that allows you to program your favorite tracks on a particular CD, so that when you go play it the next time, it will play only those tracks.

I had a Magnavox 650, which is pobably simular, that I modded. Basic stuff like change output opamps and coupling caps, beef-up the ps, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back