Is this an upgrade? A900 to E3c
Mar 18, 2005 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MajinWu

100+ Head-Fier
I got in on the Dell deal of Shure E3c for $90. For that price it was really an impulse-buy. I already have a pair of modded A900 and PocketAmp 2 (great combo along with Av-710).

So my question is this: In all senses, is it an upgrade from A900s to E3c?
I never tried canaphones before, but it would be a nice portable fix for my soon-to-be-purchased DAP. I'm too ashamed to wear the ginormous A900 public in broad daylight (plus I don't want them to get stolen!)

I heard the Westone UM2's are very good as canalphones, but they look so flimsy, fragile, and downright ugly!

Mar 18, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 17
Dell has a 21 day garentee on everything you buy from the, Many people use it to just test out products. I would, If you get them and dont like em you have 21 days and they will give you a refund. I have done this a few times with computer monitors. But also they most of the time have free shipping.

I would go for it. if you dont like it then return them.

Mar 18, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 17
Or I could sell it back on Head-fi forums for the same generous low price
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 17
well yeah That would be an option.

I ahve the shure e2c and love them. I live in NYC and they save my ears. I ride the subway 2 times a day for about an hour each way to school. It is great not being able to hear anyting and just my music.

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 17
In answer to your question : No IMHO

Two seperate purchases. Canals are in no way related to over-the head cans, so to me, I don't see how an E3C could be an upgrade to the A900.

In my case, I own the A900's, and test drove the E3C's. My ears say it was absolutely no comparison whatsoever - the A900's chewed up the E3C's and spit them out.

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 17
I haven't heard the a900s or e3c's, but, I don't think that's an upgrade. In general canalphones are handicapped by design difficulties. They are an upgrade in terms of convenience and portability, but I doubt it will be an upgrade in sq. You would probably have to go sensas or ue's to get that kind of quality. Soundstage is very limited, and separation is not as good.
I mean, I LOve my um2's, but I still prefer fullsized phones when at home.

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 17
IMHO, E3c is not an upgrade unless you think A900 is way too bright. I've bought E3c just to satisfy my curiousity and sold it within two weeks here at Head-fi.

Some appreciate E3c's recessed highs, but my lifetime addiction to brighter sounding cans/speakers (=Sony/Infinity), I couldn't stand it. If you are sensitive to highs, E3c may be more soothing than A900 and suitable for you. Otherwise, you may end up selling it like me ;p

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 17
imo, the e3's suck, really really bad.

canalphones can sure as hell compete with headphones, but the e3's, whether being compared to other canalphones or headphones, just don't cut it.

Mar 18, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 17
From an "audiophile" point of view, the E3 have some serious problems in the frequency response being extremely colored with a tipped upper midrange and recessed highs. Some bass boost to compensate for the lacking impact of canalphones and a relatively small soundstage. Simply no comparison to the A900 soundwise.
But portably speaking, they are great and are getting more use than my Ety ER4S.

Mar 19, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar
where can you get e3s for $90? I looked on the dell website and couldn't find anything...i'd be very curious to check out e3s for that price.

The deal was more of a loophole, if I remember correctly, and is now closed.

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 17
Curses, they are on backorder.

Mar 22, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinWu
...snip
So my question is this: In all senses, is it an upgrade from A900s to E3c?
I never tried canaphones before, but it would be a nice portable fix for my soon-to-be-purchased DAP. I'm too ashamed to wear the ginormous A900 public in broad daylight (plus I don't want them to get stolen!)

I heard the Westone UM2's are very good as canalphones, but they look so flimsy, fragile, and downright ugly!

I'm not sure about modd'ed A900's, but give me the E3's any day over my stock A900's. The full midrange of the E3's are such a delight compared to the hollow sound of the A900's mid-range. I listed the A900 as one of the big dissapointments in my headphone buying. However, I need a set of closed cans so I'm keeping them for TV watching.

To give the A900's some credit, the sound ranges they produce are really good, and I like the imaging/soundstage. I've not found a good EQ setting to get the mids up on them.

The E3's benefit from both treble and bass boost, which is the way that I usually listen to them. I have foobar settings that make them sound similar to my Grado's, with about 6-8dB boosts at the lowest end and again at the upper mid to high region. Similarly on my iRiver mp3 player.

Mar 22, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
..snio

Does anyone really like both?

Thats an excellent question, Commando. It seems that there are two listening preferences for mids/ends. Not as talked about as the Senn/Grado division, but probably more divisive.

What would be other examples that would go into one camp or the other? I started to think the ER4P/S but am hesitating they are so neutral and great.
Maybe the EX51/71 have similarity to A900 in sound signature? MX400 series might be an example of the E3/mids camp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back