Is this amp a good match for Grado's?
Apr 9, 2007 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tele1

New Head-Fier
I am thinking about buying a x can v3...I have Grado's 325I's..Do you folks think I will notice a difference between it and a pa2v2 that I am now using???
Thanks in advance for your input

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 8
Although I don't have it, I own the MAD , The MF X can v3 is often recommended for Grados in the same list for lower cost than the MAD as a good synergistic match for Grados .

Yes, you will hear a greater transparency of midrange detail and greater definition of bass lines in the material played than the PA2V2 , which I also own.

Also you will gain an overall fuller persentation of the material played at lower volume , without trying to turn up the volume trying to hear more. This is the secret as to what good amplification does , bringing higher resoulution at lower volume and yet doesn't break up at higher volume....

Hope this helps ~

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Not tried the mf amp but I can tell you i'm so pleased with my grado 325i and a Xenos 1HA-EPC combo for portability.
The xenos has a slightly mellow sound with a deep bass that really compliments the 325's brightness it tames the beasts a little too.

I still think that to chose the right amp for grado' 325i it depends a lot on what music you like to listen too, I'm very into accoustic, jass and classical and i love to hear detail. I have found that the xenos/325i is to much for heavy rock.

If your a mellow man like myself you couldn't go wrong with the xenos/grado combo.
rs1smile.gif

Hope it helps to confuse you even more
blink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Having previously owned the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 myself, I would say you will notice the improvements over your current rig as already noted by Hi-Finthen.

My comments and impressions of the X-Can V3 are based upon using it to drive Sennheiser HD565 Ovations, HD580, HD600, AKG K701 and Grado SR80's. For the dollars, it does a good job at bridging that divide between solid state and tube and in it's current V3 model has better drive although that's not necessary for your Grado's.

I'm a tinkerer at heart and when I was introduced to the MAD ( Maple Tree Design ) Ear + purist, I had to find out what was possible with the full tube headphone amps and I'm very happy that I did and a big thanks to Dr Lloyd Peppard for his knowledge and assistance in getting my first DIY valve headphone amp singing like an angel. The MAD has been my main amp now for many years and I have since built 3 others for friends and colleagues along the way too.

I'm currently "running in" a new pair of the Grado SR325i's on my MAD Ear + purist that I received on Tuesday !

Have fun with your search for "the" amp for your nice Grado's !

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Yes you will notice a major difference over your current amp. Personally for Grado I prefer the V2 over the V3 because IMO the V2 is a bit warmer. Of course the Mapletree Ear + Purist HD is the best of all three for Grado. But it should be since it costs 50% more than a V3 and 330% more than an used V2..

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you guys think of a Supermicro or an iBasso amp with Grados?

I can't comment on the super micro but i have an Ibasso T1 and P1 and both are good little amps but lack the refinement of my xenos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back