Is this a good soundcard?
Aug 2, 2015 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

IMPERIUS

Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I need a soundcard to connect some old (but high end!) speakers to my pc via an optical cable. I will be using them for general music listening (from youtube), gaming and movies.

I found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-E-GX2-5-Engine/dp/B007TMZ1BK/ref=zg_bs_284823_3 

it seems like it has everything I need (most important of which is the toslink port) and I will also be using them with my headphones

Your thoughts? Is anything wrong with it? Any other suggestions? Keep the budget low, please

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 26
The Xonar DGX software can only send 2-channels of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio, thru optical.
So assuming your using just 2.0 or 2.1 speaker audio setup?

Just remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you install the Xonar DGX or the driver software.

Here are some third party drivers (Unified Xonar Drivers) I like to use with Xonar sound cards.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 26
  The Xonar DGX software can only send 2-channels of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio, thru optical.
So assuming your using just 2.0 or 2.1 speaker audio setup?

Just remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you install the Xonar DGX or the driver software.

Here are some third party drivers (Unified Xonar Drivers) I like to use with Xonar sound cards.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Actually no, the whole speaker system is actually 5.1 but I'm only gonna use the sub, center and L+R speakers (and the receiver), so a 3.1 setup. I guess I could also get rca- 3.5mm jacks adapters? 
Also, where did you find out that it only supports 2 channels thru optical?

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 26

He said that it can only send 2 channels PCM uncompressed. All multi channel over optical will be compressed with any card, any device. If you want uncompressed multichannel, you have to use HDMI.

What make/model receiver, speakers, and sub do you have?

And does your computer have HDMI output?

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 26
He said that it can only send 2 channels PCM uncompressed. All multi channel over optical will be compressed with any card, any device. If you want uncompressed multichannel, you have to use HDMI.

What make/model receiver, speakers, and sub do you have?

And does your computer have HDMI output?

Ah so I have to go with HDMI. What about standard 3.5mm jacks?

Yes my pc does have HDMI however I don't remember the exact model of my speakers but I do know it has basically (for me at least) "old" jacks/ inputs. I've only got into this just recently and had no idea what all of this was. I think it has rca inputs, I'm sure for others I'll have to check tomorrow

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 26
Yes. The Xonar has 5.1 out via the 3.5mm jacks on the back. But can your receiver take inputs for 3.1 (or 5.1) via analog?

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 26
Assuming this is the correct picture for the back

on the bottom on the far left, you'll see what appear to be inputs for analog multichannel.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 26
Don't spend a ton of money on cables. These KabelDirekt 3.5mm to RCA would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00DI89NPE/

They also have them in different lengths.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 26

Actually no, the whole speaker system is actually 5.1 but I'm only gonna use the sub, center and L+R speakers (and the receiver), so a 3.1 setup. I guess I could also get rca- 3.5mm jacks adapters? 

The Asus Xonar DG/DGX are the only Asus sound cards that do not come with compression software, which is what is needed to be able to send 6-channels (5.1) of audio thru optical.
The optical output on the DG/DGX can pass 6-channels of digital (compressed) audio, the DG/DGX just lacks the software that can do compression
The Asus Xonar DS/DSX come with DTS compression software (DTS-Connect), the Xonar DX/D1 come with Dolby compression software (DDL).

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 26
The Asus Xonar DG/DGX are the only Asus sound cards that do not come with compression software, which is what is needed to be able to send 6-channels (5.1) of audio thru optical.
The optical output on the DG/DGX can pass 6-channels of digital (compressed) audio, the DG/DGX just lacks the software that can do compression
The Asus Xonar DS/DSX come with DTS compression software (DTS-Connect), the Xonar DX/D1 come with Dolby compression software (DDL).

But I wont have any problems IF I use RCA to 3.5mm Jack adapters?

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 26
But I wont have any problems IF I use RCA to 3.5mm Jack adapters?

Running cables from the Xonar's 3.5mm jack to the RCA inputs on the receiver, yes that will work.
The Asus Xonar DX & D1 can also connect to the receiver in the same way and they come with a better DAC chip, then the DG/DGX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back