is this a good portable rig?
Apr 22, 2007 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ZackP

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all, this summer, I will be making a portable rig, my first since joining head-fi. I already have a zune, and the music I will be listening to is Metal, hard rock, and some acoustical rock. I am not a basshead, but I like to have a nice amount of bass. All the files will be 192 kb/s-320 kb/s mp3. I would like to have nice extension for both the treble and bass. I was thinking SuperFi. 5 pro, and the c&c xo. Any other recomendations will be taken into consideration. My budget is 220 for IEMS, and 250 for the amp. Thanks ahead of time for reading this.

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 15
XIN supermini and SE420 or SF5Pro.......

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all, this summer, I will be making a portable rig, my first since joining head-fi. I already have a zune, and the music I will be listening to is Metal, hard rock, and some acoustical rock. I am not a basshead, but I like to have a nice amount of bass. All the files will be 192 kb/s-320 kb/s mp3. I would like to have nice extension for both the treble and bass. I was thinking SuperFi. 5 pro, and the c&c xo. Any other recomendations will be taken into consideration. My budget is 220 for IEMS, and 250 for the amp. Thanks ahead of time for reading this.

I found the sf5p's a little too dark with not enough treble for me. I preferred the e4c's over them, and I love the triple.fi's over e4c's.

I don't know about the xo, but the Tomahawk is pretty popular and around your budget too.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 15
the tomahawk is $50 above your price, but extremely well regarded for IEMs. Personally, I think you'll find a better listening experience if you shift your balance more towards the 'phones.

For instance, you could get the SE500s and a go-vibe v6 for within budget. You could also get an XM4 and the new super.fi 10s. Or, and this would be my preference, you can get some totally custom UE-5c and run 'em straight out of the Zune. Isn't the Zune supposed to have the best output quality anyways?

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 15
from what i have heard yes, but see, the iems will be a gift, and I will be getting the amp later on, maybe a month later. I could swith the max price to 250 for iems, 250 for amp, and spend a little more

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 15
For am amp I would say get the Go-Vibe 6, for cans the V-Moda total for under $200. If you really want something more upscale I say spend the money on a beter IEM like the new Westones 3 and use the Go-Vibe 6.

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 15
Ah, I see. Well, in that case, I think you're right on the money. While my taste runs towards the etymotics, the super.fi are excellent IEMs.

As far as the amp is concerned, I'd haunt the For Sale threads and buy a Hornet M. They go fast, but they sound every bit as good as the tomahawk (IMO), they have the capability of driving full size 'phones at home, and they have a rechargeable battery circuit.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking SuperFi. 5 pro, and the c&c xo.

Hi ZackP.
My environment is the thing that you are planning.
The earphone is not strictly the same as fi.5Pro.

XO is Good It is recommended.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 15
if you travel and carry alot in your pockets an amp can get cumbersome. A solid state amp won't do as much as a good tube amp for coloration so...I would just save the amp money and get iems (e4's and super fis are good); if you feel that the sound is not efficient then I would invest in an amp. A good seal is more important for bass in an iem then an amp...

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ZackP.
My environment is the thing that you are planning.
The earphone is not strictly the same as fi.5Pro.

XO is Good It is recommended.

Thank you, glad you recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back