Is This a Good Offer/Price for Adam A3X ?
Jan 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spiritfly

New Head-Fier
Hi to all!

I want to get a pair of monitor speakers for my home studio. I'm building it slowly because I don't have much time at the moment, but I surely want to build a great budget home studio (for hobby only at least for now).

So I still have to buy a decent keyboard and some pads, but I saw a guy in a local listing selling these Adam A3X for $373 both. He claims that they've only been used for a couple of months and haven't been abused at all. Only used as computer speakers at 10-30% of the volume at max, I believe the guy is trustworthy. He will also provide the full boxes and packaging and even decent RCA cables with them.

So what do you say, is this a good offer? Should I buy them? I'm not in the USA so please don't suggest to me any better offers :) I just want to know how this one compares to some other studio monitors from the same price-range / class.

I have to decide soon so please tell me if it's a good deal and if the adam a3x would suffice for my hobby home studio.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 11
Welcome to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet

Granted, those who buys that type of speakers usually buy with sound quality in mind, not to use them out loud.
If he only had them for a few month you could ask a proof of purchase for warranty concerns, but I don't see a reason to be worried.
They're small! If you need something bigger look for the rokit 5, you could get those everywhere in the world for a good price. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 11
  Welcome to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet

Granted, those who buys that type of speakers usually buy with sound quality in mind, not to use them out loud.
If he only had them for a few month you could ask a proof of purchase for warranty concerns, Keep in mind I can write whatever I want if I have to sell my headphones quick. 

The reason why I trust this guy is because he is a well known and old member of a local IT forum and judging by his many previous deals and talks with other people I concluded that he is a knowledgeable and sincere person and he definitely accepts returns if something is wrong as he has done with some other previous deals in the past.

Ok, so let's say I'm 100% sure the speakers are perfectly fine. In that case is it a good deal or not considering the price of $373 for both speakers?

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Jan 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 11
Is Macedonia in the EU yet? If so you can get a brand new pair of A3X from Thomann mail order for  420 Eur.

So it's ~$100 used vs a 5 year manufacturers guarantee brand new. Your call....

A3X are fantastic, desktop, nearfield, multimedia speakers. Ideal for all listening and any monitoring duties that don't require very low frequencies. Streets ahead of the KRKs as regards accuracy, clarity and build quality. If you are serious about producing you need something with at least a 5" driver (<50Hz).

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks a lot @squallkiercosa ! That's some good research skill right there :)

That's the exact same place where the guy who is offering me the Adams bought them from.

I wrote them an email and will call to check the price for the KRKs, They appear about the same specs as A3X. If the price is similar too why not buy new ones with warranty instead right? :)

Thank you very much for your help!

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 11
  Is Macedonia in the EU yet? If so you can get a brand new pair of A3X from Thomann mail order for  420 Eur.

So it's ~$100 used vs a 5 year manufacturers guarantee brand new. Your call....

A3X are fantastic, desktop, nearfield, multimedia speakers. Ideal for all listening and any monitoring duties that don't require very low frequencies. Streets ahead of the KRKs as regards accuracy, clarity and build quality. If you are serious about producing you need something with at least a 5" driver (<50Hz).

Macedonia is still not in EU, but most of the EU shops can ship here and we have an agreement with the EU about custom fees and TAX which are both 0%. Shipping fee to Macedonia seems to be 40 EUR from Thomann.

I will consider this option, thanks!

While we're at it, any other good deals from Thomann?

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 11
They are known for it's quality, at least this serie.  The krk's are no studio monitors, also not the new ones. For this price you won't a better pair, and for it's size it has a nice low, but if you're going to make music with a lot of bass, you'll a size larger..    I have to say that the a3x really looks great....But why not the jbl's, very affordable ,seems to sound ok.   Here a nice comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFwIyxSKjY  .  The a3x offcourse is better and a expensive ref monitor in the test would be usefull.
And graphs are nice, but which gear is used etc.....Take a look for yourself.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Richie KRK's are studio monitors, I would love to know why you say otherwise, and I have a pair of 3rd gen.RP6's sat right inside my ADAM A7x's.  I actually find the A7x more fatiguing for long sessions and like the more "warm" presentation of the KRK's for listening to EDM and electo sounds.  For actually recording and mixing the ADAM's have a much finer top end and more detailed presentation, I assume the ribbon tweeter is a large part of that.  I know plenty of people working with KRK's as their primary monitors, knowing how they translate on other systems is the hard part and the reason I have 2 sets of monitors hooked up to my PC.  

In terms of the original post I would never buy anything without listening with my own ears, if you cant visit the seller and check them out in advance you are taking a risk as even the warranty may not be transferable beyond the original seller, this depends on location.  I love my ADAM's and they are built like tanks however I think you may struggle with such small monitors if you are recording and mixing.  I listened to the whole range before buying mine and found that without a sub the smaller pairs were just so far behind the A7x there was no way I was buying them, you could always buy a sub later if you feel you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back