Is this a good audio setup for my computer ?
Apr 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Hookem

100+ Head-Fier
Before I pull the trigger on upgrading the audio portion on my computer I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

I currently have the Chaintech AV710 with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's...This setup just wears me out...The Klipsch's horn tweeters just kill my ears...Listening fatigue starts in about 20 minutes.

I only listen to music on my computer and am considering buying the AudioEngine 5's and the AudioTech Prodigy HD2.

Looking at the LM4562 opamps, unless of course there are better options.

So the new setup will cost about 425.00 to 450.00 dollars.

Is this a good setup in that price range ?

Thanks for any suggestion's, feedback and opinion's.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 21
Well I have the sound card and speakers sold.

Really want to stick with a PC type solution...Googled around and it seems a cheap external DAC is 100 bucks.

The AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 can be had for about 80 duckies shipped.

Really want a PCI sound card for music only and some good sounding speakers that have silk dome tweeters instead of the horn tweeters found on Klipsch speakers and are powered.

From the reviews that I have read the AudioEngine 5's sound very good and the AudioTrack HD2 is a great stereo card that you can change the opamps out in that allow to change the way the card sounds.

So going with an external DAC and going with a external amplifier connected to bookshelf speakers is just not what I am looking for.

Thanks for the reply...I appreciate it.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 21
I know what your talking about; I don't like the sound from the Klipsch horns either (most people don't seem to mind though).

In regards to the sound card vs. DAC, there isn't any reason why you can't run the DACs output to powered speakers like the AudioEngines, you don't need to use an external amp. Is there a reason you are ditching the AV710?

I would also suggest you take a look at pro active studio monitors if you are willing to spend $500. Sweetwater has a really nice selection, just keep in mind some are sold as pairs and some individually.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 21
Well I did not really realize how good the Chaintech is and sold it and the ProMedia's to a friend.

He had already paid me and I really could not go back on the deal.

The AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 is backordered from the factory till mid-May.

I was looking at the Mackie MR5's...But they too will not be available till mid-May.

I have found 2 different palces that sell the Chaintech AV710...One is listed as a CT-AV710 and the other is just listed as the AV710.

Chaintech AV710 VIA ENVY 24PT Sound Card Retail

Chaintech CT-AV710 PCI 2.2 Sound Card with 7.1 channnels

Not familiar with either vendor...But will start a thread to try and decifier if there is a difference between the 2 cards.

I have not heard of different releases of the Chaintech AV710 and want to make sure I get the better one if there is indeed a difference between the 2 cards I linked to.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 21
Stay away from multimedia speakers if your looking for any type of audiophile sound. Do yourself a favor and step up to a nice set of studio monitors, the difference is amazing! I got rid of my Logitech Z-580's for a set of Samson Resolv 50a's, personally for the price/performance, Samson's stuck out as the only option for me.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Irish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from multimedia speakers if your looking for any type of audiophile sound. Do yourself a favor and step up to a nice set of studio monitors, the difference is amazing! I got rid of my Logitech Z-580's for a set of Samson Resolv 50a's, personally for the price/performance, Samson's stuck out as the only option for me.

Thank you Big Irish...The AudioEngine 5's are 349.00 dollars shipped from AudioEngine...You can find them for 309.00 shipped from other vendors.

Did the Google thing for Samson Resolv and 2.1 popped up.

Samson Resolv 2.1 - Studio Monitoring System

Comparing the 2 leaves the Samson Resolv 2.1's looking like a way better deal than the AudioEngine 5's.

Off to see the wizard...Or reivews of the Samson Reolv 2.1's.

Thanks again Big Irish...You the man !!!!!!!

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 21
Did the google thing and did not come up with one review of the Samson's...Their web-site has absolutley no information on these speakers other than speaker, amp size...Hummm...Kinda skeeery...AudioEngine 5 reviews galore...Did find some owner reviews that just blasted them.

Guess I will google around and see if I can find some real reviews...If not I will have to go with the AudioEngine 5's.

Thanks again for the reply Big Irish !!!!!

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 21
The Klipsch 2.1 is a decent rig. I would look at an external dac for good SQ when you are listening to music. Upgrading your speakers wont improve your source and just about any internal sound card is going to produce below average SQ for music. I know I will get flamed for this but for quality and the sound signature you are looking for I would look at some of the multimedia speakers from Bose. They have a full bottom end and a smooth top end. Some of them even have a USB interface.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Klipsch 2.1 is a decent rig. I would look at an external dac for good SQ when you are listening to music. Upgrading your speakers wont improve your source and just about any internal sound card is going to produce below average SQ for music. I know I will get flamed for this but for quality and the sound signature you are looking for I would look at some of the multimedia speakers from Bose. They have a full bottom end and a smooth top end. Some of them even have a USB interface.

No offense but I would have to disagree with that entire comment...

DACs are the best but internal sound cards can offer very good results.

"Multimedia" speakers are not designed for SQ they are designed for convince, SQ is always a secondary consideration.

I'm not even going to touch the BOSE topic...

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense but I would have to disagree with that entire comment...

DACs are the best but internal sound cards can offer very good results.

"Multimedia" speakers are not designed for SQ they are designed for convince, SQ is always a secondary consideration.

I'm not even going to touch the BOSE topic...

He said its for a computer rig. Speaker brand is subjective. I am not wrong about external dac's as compared to internal sound cards. Dollar for dollar an external dac will provide superior results. A sound card can be used as well if he is a gamer. A 50 dollar sound card running 500 dollar active speakers just sounds like bad advice to me. His problem in the first place was more than likely the sound card and not his speakers. I have listened to the Bose and the sound signiture is what he is describing, I will grant you they are expensive, maybe even over priced.

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 21
IMO, this is the path to go if you want music first. Don't go with a "multimedia" speaker set (OK, flame me!). Start with a simple sound card that gives you optical output. Get a Zhaolu, Citypulse or other good quality dedicated DAC, a T-Amp, and a pair of Infinity Primus speakers with stands. You can then add a subwoofer later. Live with it for a while, then upgrade piecemeal to your liking.

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberTheo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, this is the path to go if you want music first. Don't go with a "multimedia" speaker set (OK, flame me!). Start with a simple sound card that gives you optical output. Get a Zhaolu, Citypulse or other good quality dedicated DAC, a T-Amp, and a pair of Infinity Primus speakers with stands. You can then add a subwoofer later. Live with it for a while, then upgrade piecemeal to your liking.

I think this is a great idea. USB type dac is a good option also.

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for the reply's.

It would seem that the pci AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 with VIA Envy Ice chip and Wolfson DAC would be a great choice.

It has 3 removable op amps...Several threads here about all that business...Change out the op amps to 2 Linear LT1364 or LT1634's and a National Semiconductor LM4562...Did I metion the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 has a headphone pre-amp ???

It just seems for the money I cannot go wrong with the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2...I dont give a damn about gaming or watching movies on my computer...Just want to move on from the Creative, Klipsch, Logitech world of audio for my computer.

The AudioEngine 5's have review after review on the net about how good they sound.

The only thing that is keeping me from getting the AudioEngine 5's are the new Mackie MR5's...But they will not be available till mid-May.

Musician's Friend - Hands-On Review: Mackie MR5 and MR8 Active Studio Monitors

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply's.

It would seem that the pci AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 with VIA Envy Ice chip and Wolfson DAC would be a great choice.

It has 3 removable op amps...Several threads here about all that business...Change out the op amps to 2 Linear LT1364 or LT1634's and a National Semiconductor LM4562...Did I metion the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 has a headphone pre-amp ???

It just seems for the money I cannot go wrong with the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2...I dont give a damn about gaming or watching movies on my computer...Just want to move on from the Creative, Klipsch, Logitech world of audio for my computer.

The AudioEngine 5's have review after review on the net about how good they sound.

The only thing that is keeping me from getting the AudioEngine 5's are the new Mackie MR5's...But they will not be available till mid-May.

Musician's Friend - Hands-On Review: Mackie MR5 and MR8 Active Studio Monitors

Sure, the AudioTrak seems quite tweakable; it can be fun.

If you don't care for game and movie sound, you may want to consider a pair of real music speakers. You own it to yourself to find a local Infinity dealer and get them to demo one of these pairs for $200-300. Hooking up to an inexpensive T-Amp, you will get a sonic surprise.
wink.gif

Infinity P162
Infinity 150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back