Is this a good $1k Bookshelf system?
Sep 15, 2007 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bombo

New Head-Fier
I'm building my first speaker system. I travel between cities a lot, so Bookshelves which sound decent without a sub are a must, and ideally an amp which is not a monster though this is OK. I will be using my laptop to feed my Beresford TC-7510, so need a USB transport, amp, speakers and cables. I'm new to quality audio and am looking purely for the best bang for buck entry system I can get. Budget is ~$1k, and can stretch a little, but only if there is a really sizeable step up in quality (i.e. Clearly noticeable to a non-audiophile).

I'm close to pulling the trigger on this configuration. I'm pretty set on using the UD-10 as a transport, and absolutely love my Beresford, but am unsure about the rest. Are there better choices than the Axioms and TA-10 in this price-range?

USB Transport: Trends UD-10 ($180 AUD)
DAC: Beresford TC 7510 M6 (already own)
Amp: Trends TA-10??? ($200 AUD)
Speakers: Axiom M3 v2 ($510 AUD)
Speaker Wire: No clue really. BlueJeansCable.com?

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 12
Looks quite good, but the speakers aren't really efficient... You should look at 8 ohm 93db + speakers .... Klipsch maybe? or some fostex driver based monitors.... I'm not very knowledgable in speaker world .

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks quite good, but the speakers aren't really efficient... You should look at 8 ohm 93db + speakers .... Klipsch maybe? or some fostex driver based monitors.... I'm not very knowledgable in speaker world .

Depending on the size of room, music types, and volume, higher efficiency may not be needed.

I listen to more acoustic/folk/vocals, and used the Trends TA-10.1 to temporarily drive a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-16 monitors....listed as 84db efficient!

The sound in my 14 x 14 room was loud enough at 11 o'clock that my wife often complained from the other room for me to turn it down.

This may be one extreme, but the Trends is quite the little amp....

I agree with what you said, too, it's a quite nice setup.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omegaloudspeaker.com makes a smaller hempdriver speaker that sounds outstanding. They are 93db efficient, I have their bigger brothers and have not thought of upgrading since.

Ummmm, I checked their site, and the cheapest speakers they sell are $800USD not including shipping (which would need to be to Australia). Sorry but no thanks. =)

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 12
Sep 15, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 12
I just got these:

A7.jpg

They are around 1K$, are amped monitors and sound very good. I feed them from my corda HA2 as preamp, but you can feed them directly from your soundcard. Those ribbon tweeters sound very real and the 6.5'' woofers give decent bass. Nice (and small) speakers!.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 12
BJC's best terminated speaker cables are less than half the cost of Signal Cable's least-expensive speaker cables, and they specify the actual cable manufacturers (Belden and Canare). Most of their cable materials are made in the U.S., too, so my vote goes to them.

Otherwise, the system looks good. I'd advise listening to the speakers before you buy, if you can... They're the most important part of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back