Is this a fair price for ASL MG Head amp?
Mar 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cla55clown

100+ Head-Fier
I have the opportunity to buy a Antique Sound Labs headphone amp from a local on Craigslist. He states in his ad that it is the "Antique Sound Labs [size=medium]MG Head OTL headphone amp" and he wants $250 (states retail is $500). I'm new to this and know virtually nothing about tube headphone amps. So, is this a fair price for this model at $250? I realize I might have to invest in better/replacement tubes. I've read a few threads about this amp but they are old ('03-'05) and I'm trying to get a feel for the current thoughts on this. Also, anything in particular I should be wary about or look for when I go to see it that might throw up a red flag?[/size]

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 4
I have one - the input rca's and the output headphone jack are loose. Other than that, it seems fine. I guess it's about 8 years old, maybe more, and was my main hp amp until recently. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your input LjF. Not sure if they're still selling this model and I had never heard it mentioned here in the full size amp forum. Apparently the seller is cleaning out and selling the lot of his audiophile equipment. I had hoped to hear from a few more members about this amp but it looks like I might have to just read the old threads. I figure it could give me a cheap intro into the tube rolling world. On that note, does "tube rolling" mean just swapping out the tubes in order to find the sound you're looking for? If no one else has anything to add, I'll just let this one die. Might just offer $225 and see if I can pick it up. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
 On that note, does "tube rolling" mean just swapping out the tubes in order to find the sound you're looking for?

yes, that's what tube rolling is. Just make sure to power off and use a towel when changing tubes - they get hot.

I like the amp - has a very full sound and a wide soundstage -- I like it more than the Crack I recently gave away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back