Is this a counterfeit Hakko 936?
Jan 2, 2011 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

L-Train

New Head-Fier
So I purchased a Hakko 936-12 off of eBay a few weeks ago from a Canadian seller and received it on Friday.  I had the time to take a look at it today and immediately noticed that the tip on the iron is conical rather than the standard chisel tip 900M-T-1.6D.  This set off a few alarms so I did a little searching and found a few pictures of what I believe is a genuine Hakko 936 in the Wikimedia Commons:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hakko_936_soldering_station_complete.jpeg (additional pictures are at the bottom of the page)

I then took a few shots of the station I received and made a few comparisons:

I also noticed that the front panel of the base was rather scratched up for a supposedly "new" unit:

Additional (as well as more detailed) pictures are available in my photo album: Hakko 936 (Fake?)

I've seen Hakko clones (Aoyue, etc.) around Head-Fi in the past but never an all-out counterfeit.  Can anyone who has a genuine Hakko 936 compare theirs to the one I received and confirm that it is in fact not genuine?  Thanks in advance!

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 25
Wow, nice job annotating the pictures.

Hate to say it, but your fake one does not look at all like my real one. My real one looks just like the one you have in the pictures marked real. I got mine on ebay, but, from an authorized dealer. It was more expensive that way, but, at least it was genuine. Can you post a picture of the box it came in as well?

Not sure where you are located, but, if you have a Frys in your area, you can pick up genuine Hakko parts at about the same price you can get them for on eBay. They go on sale all of the time.

Be aware, Hakko has discontinued the 936, so, it you want one, now is the time to get one.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 25
I think I've got a fake one from ebay as well. It seems to work fine but when the HAKKO wore off the iron I figured it was fake. Also the mid section you've posted in your pictures broke the first day. :frowning2:

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:
Wow, nice job annotating the pictures.

Hate to say it, but your fake one does not look at all like my real one. My real one looks just like the one you have in the pictures marked real. I got mine on ebay, but, from an authorized dealer. It was more expensive that way, but, at least it was genuine. Can you post a picture of the box it came in as well?

Not sure where you are located, but, if you have a Frys in your area, you can pick up genuine Hakko parts at about the same price you can get them for on eBay. They go on sale all of the time.

Be aware, Hakko has discontinued the 936, so, it you want one, now is the time to get one.

Thanks jdkJake.  More detailed pictures (a picture of the box as well as pictures of unboxing) can be found in my album: Hakko 936 (Fake?).

I'm in Canada so no Frys for me.  I thought it'd be pretty safe to purchase from a Canadian seller since knock-offs generally originate from overseas sellers, but I guess it wasn't the case this time.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 25
Did it come with a box inside a box? If so, on the outside of the inner box is a UPC code with a serial number. You should be able to register that at the hakko web site and see if it comes up as authentic.

BTW, my manual was entirely in English. Other than that, the packaging looks similar. Not that it is any indication of authenticy.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 25
jdkJake,

No, it did not come with a box inside a box.  It was shipped in the "Hakko 936" cardboard box with the item's styrofoam holders as padding.  Everything you see in the album is exactly how it was shipped to me and how it looked unboxed.

There are no serial numbers/UPC codes on the cardboard box nor on the inside or on the styrofoam pieces.  The manual is 15 pages long with English from pages 1-7 and Japanese from 8-15.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
jdkJake,

No, it did not come with a box inside a box.  It was shipped in the "Hakko 936" cardboard box with the item's styrofoam holders as padding.  Everything you see in the album is exactly how it was shipped to me and how it looked unboxed.

There are no serial numbers/UPC codes on the cardboard box nor on the inside or on the styrofoam pieces.  The manual is 15 pages long with English from pages 1-7 and Japanese from 8-15.

HOLY ****! I think I bought a counterfeit from the same seller as you. I'm going to go find the box and see what I can do.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 25
Looks like I bought a knock off 936. I contacted the seller, and it's a clone of the 936. It works fairly well, so I  don't have any concerns. I'm going to open it up and see if there is any shoddy soldering.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 25
OK, sorry about all the posts.

The soldering on the inside was pretty bad, but it looks solid enough. Maybe a 3/10. If it ever fails, I didn't really pay very much for it, and that's what I get for buying off ebay.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 25

jdkJake,

Suffice to say there is not a white rectangular sticker with the model number and serial number on the bottom of the control unit either? It did not look like it from the photos. It would be on the bottom front right corner. 

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 25

OK, sorry about all the posts.

The soldering on the inside was pretty bad, but it looks solid enough. Maybe a 3/10. If it ever fails, I didn't really pay very much for it, and that's what I get for buying off ebay.

eBay is fine as long as it is from a authorized dealer for the part. I bought mine on eBay from seller niosales. At the time, it was a decent deal with the extra tips included in the sale. Fry's still has the best price for genuine Hakko gear lately. I am sure they are trying to clear them out for the new model. Last time I was in a city with a Fry's they were going for something like $59 USD.

You can always verify with the manufacturer who is authorized to sell online. Otherwise, you risk grey-market, clone or counterfeit merchandise.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:

eBay is fine as long as it is from a authorized dealer for the part. I bought mine on eBay from seller niosales. At the time, it was a decent deal with the extra tips included in the sale. Fry's still has the best price for genuine Hakko gear lately. I am sure they are trying to clear them out for the new model. Last time I was in a city with a Fry's they were going for something like $59 USD.You can always verify with the manufacturer who is authorized to sell online. Otherwise, you risk grey-market, clone or counterfeit merchandise.

Well, I didn't read close enough. Hakko's name was never mentioned in the description, but it did say 936 and I inferred that it was Hakko. My bad. I'll try contacting ebay and seeing what they do.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Suffice to say there is not a white rectangular sticker with the model number and serial number on the bottom of the control unit either? It did not look like it from the photos. It would be on the bottom front right corner.  

Nope, no model number or serial number sticker on the bottom of the unit.  The only sticker is what I assume is the production/assembly date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back