Is this "6ft Premium Toslink Fiber Optic Digital Audio Optical Cable" far less than premium?
Mar 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bbmiller

100+ Head-Fier
I needed a audio optical cable so when I saw this one on eBay with gold colored plugs which was material covered I thought it was a very good one for its $7.95 price shipping included. It's pictured below and also pictured below is my television optical audio out my USB soundcard's optical audio out and the optical audio in of my DAC, which hasn't arrived yet. 

I expected all the optical audio connectors shown below to have a good feel when I plug the optical audio cable into them, but the best I could do with the best of them was to get something that almost felt like it would stay in their without falling out. So is the cable I picked incompatible optical audio jacks I am showing or is it a less than premium cable or is this some trick to it? I want to be good to go as soon as I receive my first audiophile quality equipment in a few weeks so your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

My DAC is in the center of the stack of equipment below and it's optical audio input is at the extreme left.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 7
As long as the cable functions then it shouldn't matter how well it stays in, that is to say as long as it isn't falling out of the socket. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 7
  As long as the cable functions then it shouldn't matter how well it stays in, that is to say as long as it isn't falling out of the socket. 

Well I tried it again with my television optical out and mechanically it just about stays in their trooping at a angle. What a quest to find something that has a mechanically stay in their easier  feel to it that is less tenuous be a wasted quest? Is that about how all of the optical cables feel mechanically when you make a connection? And would assisting them with duct tape be a no-no?

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 7

I like this one: http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Clicks in solid on my equipment.

That site you link me to seems to sell all optical cables they offer only 20 inches long that is not long enough for my needs and at $60 they seem pricey. So any more and other suggestions please?

I needed a audio optical cable

???

Try reading the page and checking the drop down menu, they offer lengths up to 26 feet.

You get what you pay for, you already know what 7.95 got you.

Good luck.  :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 7
OK it may be true that you get what you pay for as the above respondent said but you can also pay for things you do not need and I do not know if I need all the features of the cable he is recommending what I need is good mechanical connections or that's at least what I think I need. In that regard,  Monoprice a cable vendor which I believe is normally held in high regard, mentions Mini Toslink M/M 5.0mm as well as ones which are not many. Does anybody here know the difference? Or can look at the pictures I posted on the top of this thread I started and tell which might need the minis and which might need the regulars or if that's even a possibility?

Well if you are wondering why he just dose not look up the difference himself  I'm not doing that goes am having trouble doing that I neither see it on the Monoprice site nor Wikipedia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back