Is thereally a reason to have multiple portable daps?
Oct 8, 2016 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
I love my pioneer xdp-100r, but i cant stop thinking about and looking at other players like the Fiio x7, Ak300, xdp-300r, and really wonder if there would be a benefit to having multiple players besides writing a review. Iam reallyshouldget a dac and amp for my pc, but portable is where my heart has always been. So those of you that have multiple players, what do you do with them?

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 44
Thought i would bump this.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 44
I think some people like to use multiple DAPs for the different features and sound signatures.

If I used DAPs (I used to, but no longer do), I would just get a portable DAC/amp and call it a day.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 44

+1 And in some cases a sign that you would rather play with toys than listen to music.

What if you like doing both? I like my current setup but enjoy seeing how other manufacturers have approached the same goal of making a dedicated DAP. Im a tech junkie as much as I'm a music junkie so if I get to play with new toys that can make my listening more enjoyable (even if it is just from form factor, UI, etc) then I'm always open to new equipment.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 44
A benefit to having multiple DAPs I find is when I travel I'll tend to bring a less expensive unit along. Then if something were to happen, i.e. lost/stolen, I wouldn't be as upset as if it were my favorite or expensive device.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 44
What if you like doing both? I like my current setup but enjoy seeing how other manufacturers have approached the same goal of making a dedicated DAP. Im a tech junkie as much as I'm a music junkie so if I get to play with new toys that can make my listening more enjoyable (even if it is just from form factor, UI, etc) then I'm always open to new equipment.

It was not a judgement, but rather a statement.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 44
In my opinion its ok owning a few players. I've found from my own experience synergy between the player/IEM is a major area in bringing out their best performance, both player and earphone. I own 3 players, each have their own earphone they live with as 'sets' I've paired up.

Its a good way to keep yourself going in the hobby, that hunt for the ultimate pairing or synergy. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 44
At times the different players may help you study the contrast of different sounds amung IEMs and headphones.

It like photographing a person in the day then at night.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 44
  In my opinion its ok owning a few players. I've found from my own experience synergy between the player/IEM is a major area in bringing out their best performance, both player and earphone. I own 3 players, each have their own earphone they live with as 'sets' I've paired up.

Its a good way to keep yourself going in the hobby, that hunt for the ultimate pairing or synergy. 

Do you not think using a portable DAC/amp (to get better sound from all the headphones) is better?

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 44

Do you not think using a portable DAC/amp (to get better sound from all the headphones) is better?

I think again for me it will depend on the synergy between the dac/amp and earphone. I owned Mojo twice, while it sounded good I still preferred how my earphones sounded with some dedicated players. I do agree though if the synergy is fitting there's some excellent sound to be had from using a smartphone and dedicated dac/amp. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 44
If it makes you happy do it. I own several, and there are more I'm buying. I don't jump around too much once I find one I like. Synergy is a great point that the other guy, H20 something or other said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back