is there too much difference between dt 770 250 ohms unamped and amped?
Dec 25, 2011 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

diego018

New Head-Fier
i recently bought a pair of used beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohms used for 108$ usd. i knew i also needed an amp, but i have money until 29 december so i have to wait to buy my fiio e11. 

the sound without amp is horrible. im a electro /dubstep producer and i was using a pair of in ear, sony mdr ex300 and they sound a lot better that the unamped beyers.

will the amp really satisfy me ? or the difference is very slight ? thanks ! 

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 9
maybe i exaggerated with the word "horrible" i was pissed off because i expected more haha. i don't know if i  have the words to describe it.. it's too visual the way i hear the music.. i was looking for a good bass that blows my head in every kick (i think this will be improved with the amp) and i see lack of color, sound shape and clarity (i don`t know if this will be improved since i haven't used a headphone amp). i need all of this to get details done in the studio. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 9
ok then.. the DT770/80 in my opinion is very colored on the bottom side of the freq spectrum, and the 250 supposed to be a more refined and balanced dt770, not as much as the 80ohm in bass.. it might need a little more juice.

cheers,

Jan 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 9
You have to use a headphone amplifier with the BeyerdynamicDT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
They will sound like $#1T without one and great with one.
Even the 80-Ohm version needs a headphone amplifier to bring out it's best.

On eBay they have low cost single tube headphone amplifiers, ships from China, takes 10 days.
Prices start around $45, better ones start at $75, $120 for the newest revisions.
There are small, but not really a true portable (AC powered).

But with the E11, you have a warranty you can use.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
there is a lot of lack of bass

That sounds weird, the DT770 Pro rarely gets criticism for lacking bass. Although since yours are used (with used earpads ?), the seal may no longer be as good as that of a new pair, and that does decrease the amount of bass, as I also noticed myself after only a couple of months. It should still be above neutral around 40-50 Hz, though, and mine can still easily play a 20 Hz sine wave. Your previous headphones may have been really bass heavy as well, as it is common with cheap low end models. Also, what is your "unamped" source exactly ?

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, without an amp and a proper source the 770s are a lot worse,
i would say it lacks definition and punch, particularly in bass. it may also not be the right can for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back