Is there such thing as a "good" wireless headphone?
Mar 20, 2007 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Globetro

New Head-Fier
I really would like to get a wireless headphone to use for guitar practice so I'm not all tangled up in cords when I practice. Any recommendations on some decent wireless headphones? I guess they don't need to be spectacular quality, but at least decent quality with good battery life and not too pricey.

I'm not familiar at all with the current state of wireless headphones, so any ideas of what brands/models to start looking at? I'd ideally like to keep it under $100 (if that's even possible).

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 10
I routinely use a Sony DP-IF5000, and IMO it may sound about as good as the usual mid-quality headphones, such as the HD600, RS325, K701, etc. But, this opinion is tentative, because I haven't actually done any head-to-head comparisons with any of them. Unfortunatly, this wireless headphone system is no longer made, although it's recently been gotten on ebay for $175-$200. I also tried a currently available Sony wireless headphone that costs <$100, but found that its performance is very significantly inferior to that of the DP-5000. This was the Sony MDR-IF540R wireless headphone.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Well, actually there might be a good one.

I've just had the Beyerdynamic RSX700 on loan for a few days, and it sounds really good. There's some bass in a wireless, for a change.
It's using 2.4 GHz for transmitting, so there is no transmission noise like those which use the FM band.

The RSX700 uses 2 regular AA batteries, and rechargeables are included.

There were some issues regarding volume-adjustment, but I think this was a problem with the particular specimen I had.

However, I'm quite sure it costs more than $100.

Here's the link:
[showUID]=1870&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=103&cHash=3b11c9fc48]http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/wireless_headphone_systems.103.0.html?&L=1&tx_sbpr oductdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=1870&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=103&cHash=3b11c9fc48

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Cool, thanks for the suggestions... I guess wanting to spend under $100 is just a pipe dream.
frown.gif

They really should make a device that can turn an existing wired headphone to wireless. Like a wireless transmitter that plugs into the audio source and a wireless receiver that you can plug your headphone into and wind your wire around.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Globetro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They really should make a device that can turn an existing wired headphone to wireless. Like a wireless transmitter that plugs into the audio source and a wireless receiver that you can plug your headphone into and wind your wire around.

You mean like these monitoring systems from Shure? http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...tems/index.htm

wink.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

The reason why wireless headphones are lower in quality than fullsized headphones is that wireless headphones include both a DAC and an amplifier directly in the housing of the headphones. So, while people have huge amplifiers and DACs hooked up to fullsized headphones, wireless headphones can't do that.

ATH-DCL3000 was reportedly quite good. But most likely over your budget.
biggrin.gif
(And it's discontinued.)

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

A2DP stereo Bluetooth transmitter and receiver

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason why wireless headphones are lower in quality than fullsized headphones is that wireless headphones include both a DAC and an amplifier directly in the housing of the headphones. So, while people have huge amplifiers and DACs hooked up to fullsized headphones, wireless headphones can't do that.

I am pretty shure DACs have nothing to do with a headphone being wireless.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back