Is there such a thing that enables wireless internet?
Sep 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ljcii

100+ Head-Fier
I have 3 computers at home, an ethernet modem and a wired router.
Is there anything in this world that allows me to connect to the wired router wireless? Without the need to buy a wireless router.

Perhaps some adapter that i can use on one of the holes of the router that will connect to my computer.
ANy such thing?

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 15
One of your computers should be able to transmit a wireless signal. On a Mac, you can stick an ethernet cable in, which provides the Internet, and "share" the Internet wireslessly. At least, I think this works...

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 15
If you have a comp connected by wire that also has a wireless card you can do that by using the wireless card in 'master' mode. Not sure what you have to do under windows, mac should have an easy setting somewhere, but it might be called something like master.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 15
U can use your Computer connected via Ethernet as a Wireless Router...if it has a Wireless card..or just get a USB wireless card.

Edit: Basically u ll be making an AdHoc network.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 15
You can either buy a wireless card for one of your PCs and run and adhoc network, but then it needs to be on for wifi to work, and a wireless card that is decent g would be about 60 bucks, router would also cost about 40 bucks for a wrt54g which you could ddwrt if you so desired.

Trendnet makes this for about 50 bucks newegg, you plug into your current router, and it makes an N network. Only downside, if your router is 10/100, you wont get N speeds between wireless and wire file transfers. However most modems are 100mbit so you are not gonna get N advantage in actual internet over wire.

TRENDnet | Products | Wireless N Access Point | TEW-637AP

You may be able to find something similar from linksys, dlink etc.
Newegg.com - Wireless Bridge, Wireless Ethernet Bridge, 802.11b, Wireless Networking Bridge, Wireless-G Access Point, Wireless Access Point

But the problem is price, the trend net is really cheap, and ok based on reviews, but with some of the prices of other ones, you are better off just daisychaining a wireless router from your router, or just buying a regular wireless router.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 15
THat is quite alot of information to digest.
BUt my computers can't share wireless.
None of mycomputers have wireless networking

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 15
wireless routers are super cheap, I've seen them for $5 on sale, why don't you want to get one?

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 15
really?
Perhaps i should check it out then

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really?
Perhaps i should check it out then

No..wireless routers are atleast $25..

$5 is only for Wireless USB or PCI card.. which fits into your notebook ..but too much hassle.

get a wireless Router and enjoy life

Wireless routers also have ethernet ports.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 15
All of my compyuters do not have wireless cards.
Buying a wireless router would mean topping up so much that i'll never be able to buy my ah-d1001s.

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of my compyuters do not have wireless cards.
Buying a wireless router would mean topping up so much that i'll never be able to buy my ah-d1001s.

Set your priority ... i cant help u much with financial management.

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #12 of 15
^ absolutely.

which is more important to you at the moment - wireless network for your computers? or a pair of denons?

As far as I know, there is no solution to "upgrade" your wired router to be wireless - without buying:
1) wireless router
2) wireless router adapters X number of computers you have

choice is yours: wireless network? or pair of denons or save up some more money and get both

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 15
Sigh.
what a difficult thing to decide.
The reason why i need to shift my computer to my study table is so that i can use my denon ah-d1001's when i'm studying.
If i shifted my computer there, i would have internet but my brother's and sisters wont.
In this way... don't know. the reason why i'm shifting is to listen music. denon is my priority but i have to get wireless to do so. But if i get wireless, i don't get denons.

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 15
Thought of that.
But i use a card router, where by the router is in the computer.
If i shift my computer there, i have to put the card router in my other computer and i'm not sure if in that computer, does the computer need to be turned on for the router to start working. (for this computer, even when shut down, the router works.)
but nvm. I'm not shifting anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back