Is there such a thing as fake ATH-M50x's?
Jun 17, 2015 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WindWaker98

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, I just joined this site today, so I hope I'm posting in the right category.

I want to get a new pair of headphones, as of now I have a pair of Monoprice 8323's, but I want something better. I was thinking about the M50x's. I would choose them over the regular M50's because of the detachable cable. I know that there have been several reports of fake M50's, but has anybody ever come across a fake pair of M50x's? I was wondering because I'm thinking about purchasing on ebay (brand new) because M50x's seem to be a little bit cheaper on there.

Thanks,

Dylan

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 11
Well, I don't know for sure they are fake but, I just ordered a air of them "new and in packaging" off ebay for $35 w/ free shipping. I'm pretty sure they won't be the "100% genuine product" the seller claims they are. It's funny, they even warn people to watch out for fakes....LOL. I will update in about a month or so when they get here on the slow boat from China. BTW, there are many more they are selling for those who want to take the chance...LOL.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Isn't this the listing?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Foldable-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-Black-/271906621494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4ee5c836

Buyers beware...

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 11
I wouldn't worry about whether they are fake. The M50x sounds worse than many $20 headphones I've heard, yet costs well over $100. Please don't waste your money on this headphone. I have heard two of them, by the way. Owned one and am currently borrowing another. It has extremely boomy, muddy bass and very little mids. No idea why a basshead headphone is being marketed as a studio headphone...

Funny thing: I associate the Audio-Technica logo on the headphones with the Triforce from The Legend Of Zelda. Looks like you do as well, judging from your avatar and user name.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 11
I wouldn't worry about whether they are fake. The M50x sounds worse than many $20 headphones I've heard, yet costs well over $100. Please don't waste your money on this headphone. I have heard two of them, by the way. Owned one and am currently borrowing another. It has extremely boomy, muddy bass and very little mids. No idea why a basshead headphone is being marketed as a studio headphone...

Funny thing: I associate the Audio-Technica logo on the headphones with the Triforce from The Legend Of Zelda. Looks like you do as well, judging from your avatar and user name. :D

Really? What would you recommend? My budget is $150, and I neeeed a detachable cable.

And yeah, the Triforce and AT logo do look much alike, haha.

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Really? What would you recommend? My budget is $150, and I neeeed a detachable cable.

And yeah, the Triforce and AT logo do look much alike, haha.

Just about anything else in the same price range is bound to be better, in my opinion. Even the more affordable M40x has a much more accurate frequency response, though it still needs work. The best closed headphone I have heard in that price range is the Yamaha HPH-MT220...but it has a non-detachable cable and is more or less discontinued now, so it can't be found new for $150 anymore. You might like the NVX XPT100, though I didn't. I'm assuming you are going after a studio monitor style closed headphone. If open-back is okay too, you have other options.

Zelda FTW!
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back