Is there such a thing as big bass from non-isolating earphones?
Feb 9, 2009 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Marcos

Head-Fier
You know the kind of big bass that IEMs offer?
darthsmile.gif

All earbuds ive tried have had the same tinny problem, entire basslines are just
not represented, i feel so sorry for the people that use the standard iPod
earbuds. They're missing a whole portion of every song.
triportsad.gif

IEMs are great for bass but i need a non-isolating solution, and since i dont like the idea
of wearing headphones, it needs to be earbuds.

I'm considering Yuin but will they be tinny too?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit, now i cant find them in the UK, they were £25 a month ago apparently, now they are £35+

What would be the next best earphone? Or does nothing come close?

I could be wrong but Yuin is kinda out there on their own when it comes to buds. Try some of the vendors on the home page.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 13
Can't imagine ever wanting more bass from an earbud then what I get with the pk3's.
This phones also come with 2 donut earcushions and a regular one. There's lots of room for bass tweaking there.
Personally I like to put the two donut earcushions alltogather
L3000.gif
Kinda tricky to put them on top of eachother at first but worth it.

Hell those buds are everything a koss sound sig guy would ever wish for from an earbud. Even started to listen to some Norah Jones since I got them. No joking. Must be those mids of the pk3's
ph34r.gif

p.s
Don't belive in burn-in but they are getting better with each day I listen to them. Could be my brain is improving?
biggrin.gif

I wonder what the pk1 can do. They can't be that good...

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Big bass isn't a problem as long as it's tuned into the hardware. One secondary side effect is SPL capability. If you want a 20Hz tone with good authority, you're forced to follow physics and physics tells you to use a big cone area and lots of excursion because you're going to have to move a lot of air. This gets harder as you move farther and farther away from the pick up point (inner ear). IEMs have an easy time when shoved into the ear. Buds need to work harder. Over the ear phones need to work harder yet. This is also why your home stereo is on a relative scale, enormous. The further away, the more effort that needs to be taken to reach the same SPL.

As far as having the bass in the first place, that's just a sensitivity issue. Some headphones roll off at 40Hz or 50Hz and may not have very much of the very low frequencies. A 20Hz note might be 15dB down relative to the rest of the music, pretty much unnoticeable. EQing can fix this somewhat. You can bump up the output and flatten out and extend the frequency response. However, the headphone may or may not be able to play the information well. It may lack excursion, may lack control, may have relatively high distortion. Even if you can get it, you may not want it.

The goal in the end is to find something that can get you what you want with the cleanliness you desire and the SPL levels you intend to operate.

Some questions for you is how low does it need to play and how loud does it need to play? Will you have any EQing if the output does roll off a little early?

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big bass isn't a problem as long as it's tuned into the hardware. One secondary side effect is SPL capability. If you want a 20Hz tone with good authority, you're forced to follow physics and physics tells you to use a big cone area and lots of excursion because you're going to have to move a lot of air. This gets harder as you move farther and farther away from the pick up point (inner ear). IEMs have an easy time when shoved into the ear. Buds need to work harder. Over the ear phones need to work harder yet. This is also why your home stereo is on a relative scale, enormous. The further away, the more effort that needs to be taken to reach the same SPL.

As far as having the bass in the first place, that's just a sensitivity issue. Some headphones roll off at 40Hz or 50Hz and may not have very much of the very low frequencies. A 20Hz note might be 15dB down relative to the rest of the music, pretty much unnoticeable. EQing can fix this somewhat. You can bump up the output and flatten out and extend the frequency response. However, the headphone may or may not be able to play the information well. It may lack excursion, may lack control, may have relatively high distortion. Even if you can get it, you may not want it.

The goal in the end is to find something that can get you what you want with the cleanliness you desire and the SPL levels you intend to operate.

Some questions for you is how low does it need to play and how loud does it need to play? Will you have any EQing if the output does roll off a little early?

thanks i thought there might be limitations in the type of earphone, unfortunately

i guess the question is, do they make non-isolating IEMs? So in theory that would provide the bass because it would be the same distance from the pick up point like you say, but would let the ear breathe more and hear more.

does that make sense?

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

i guess the question is, do they make non-isolating IEMs? So in theory that would provide the bass because it would be the same distance from the pick up point like you say, but would let the ear breathe more and hear more.

does that make sense?

Don't quote me on this because I am also new to IEM's but I believe it is the seal you get when you isolate that gives the IEM's their bass. I know if I don't get a good seal the bass is a lot less.

Sam

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_SOURCE41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't quote me on this because I am also new to IEM's but I believe it is the seal you get when you isolate that gives the IEM's their bass. I know if I don't get a good seal the bass is a lot less.

Sam

Yeah i have noticed the sharp decrease in bass when the seal is not good. Its a shame, i'd love the bass without the isolation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back