Is there such a thing as an Optical/SPDIF to USB cable?
Mar 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ruleof72

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if there is a cable/converter that will allow me to connect the optical output from my Squeezebox Classic to a USB input on an outboard DAC like the Schiit Modi. I would like to try the Modi with the Squeezebox but it only takes USB input.

Does such a cable exist?

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 3
  I'm wondering if there is a cable/converter that will allow me to connect the optical output from my Squeezebox Classic to a USB input on an outboard DAC like the Schiit Modi. I would like to try the Modi with the Squeezebox but it only takes USB input.

Does such a cable exist?

No.

The data stream over SPDIF and USB-audio are fundamentally different. You need a computer (or equivalent device) that can read in the SPDIF source and stream the data to a USB-audio sound output device (e.g., your Schiit Modi).

Cheers

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 3

No.

The data stream over SPDIF and USB-audio are fundamentally different. You need a computer (or equivalent device) that can read in the SPDIF source and stream the data to a USB-audio sound output device (e.g., your Schiit Modi).

Cheers

That's what I thought. I was hoping I was wrong because there are some nice USB DAC's out there that I think would be an improvement over the Squeezebox's internal unit. I guess I'll just have to save up a bit more $$'s and get the Bifrost Uber or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back